Addition to Smokem's AFC SIMPLIFIED thread. Now locked.

I really like the 160 pump governor spring in my AFC on my Junker Drag Truck.

I really hate the stretched factory AFC spring in my 98' Automatic with stock turbo except for when I'm running stock or slightly larger injectors, then it meter fuel delivery just fine!

I really like the 160 pump governor spring in my AFC on my Junker Drag Truck.

I really hate the stretched factory AFC spring in my 98' Automatic with stock turbo except for when I'm running stock or slightly larger injectors, then it meter fuel delivery just fine!
I ruined my spring, trying to stretch it.

I havent tried a 160 spring or a 215 yet. Ive run the stock stretched spring for the last year now and it does alright, sorta dumps the fuel if your mean to it around 20psi but for the most part it has done its job good, i have a video of how much my truck smokes on spool up and take off and right now its tuned perfect for zero smoke passes. I'll see if i can dig it up

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jliNKXEeE4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jliNKXEeE4c[/ame]

I got tired of messing with springs a while back, and made this adjustable elbow that fits on the back of the AFC. I put the stock spring back in, backed off the starwheel and use the elbow to make adjustments. It's adjustable from 20psi to whatever you need. I've changed it a little since the picture, it now has a locknut and indexing. I've got it set at 65psi right now, but if I what to change it to 40 or 80 or ?, it takes like a minute. And it cost like $5. Also the rate is somewhat adjusable through the orifice size. A smaller orifice responds quicker. I started small and increased it until it suited me. Works just like the one on the turbo.

AFCBoostElbow.jpg

I've been wanting to try an electronic boost controller on my AFC. Computer controls for the dinosaurs.

I see the hole in the side is that the orifice that you are referring too? and what does that do?

to bleed off boost pressure from the line to the afc once you step off the accelator.

I decided to run a boost limiting orifice like the one pictured a few replies ago with the light spring. In metering the movement while on the bench at different pressures I like how the arm moves forward at a slow controlled rate instead of moving forward quickly once a certain pressure is reached. So far i'm a big fan and given how easy it is to adjust while on the truck it is hard to beat in my opinion. For the record I run the boost elbow commonly sold for the application of to limit boost to the gate actuator of the stock turbo to increase boost.

I decided to run a boost limiting orifice like the one pictured a few replies ago with the light spring. In metering the movement while on the bench at different pressures I like how the arm moves forward at a slow controlled rate instead of moving forward quickly once a certain pressure is reached. So far i'm a big fan and given how easy it is to adjust while on the truck it is hard to beat in my opinion. For the record I run the boost elbow commonly sold for the application of to limit boost to the gate actuator of the stock turbo to increase boost.
Like this?

eBay Mobile - Service unavailable

I have been messing around all day today... with my 97 auto afc and springs thinking i may have something good going will see??

Thanks!

aefdb792-ae68-9b6f.jpg

I'm gonna try this out when I get my truck back on the road, I used this to tune my external gate. Might work pretty good as an in cab adjustment for the afc.

aefdb792-ae68-9b6f.jpg

I'm gonna try this out when I get my truck back on the road, I used this to tune my external gate. Might work pretty good as an in cab adjustment for the afc.

That will follow actual boost until it hits your set pressure, then won't go higher than your set pressure.

I'm still saying a electronic boost controller that the ricers use would be awesome.

a6935811-d860-835f.jpg

a6935811-d880-c25e.jpg

Last edited:
I have also been thinking about controlling the afc electronically. Just seems much smarter to do so with a boost controller. Anyone try this? I just won't smoke free performance. Sometimes its hard when you don't have a lot of time.

I've looked into those before but the price tag changed my mind. I think it would work well to electronically control fuel at a given boost. Someone buy one and report back!

Back