Advice on Childrens Ear Muffs/ Hearing Protection

Amish Elegance

Schadenfreude
I need a set for my 11 m/o daughter. She's turning into quite the gear head and enjoys the "vroom vroom" things with nearly the enthusiasm of her father. I'd like to be smarter than I was growing up and in my teen years and give her a little hearing protection. Its too late for me ("What did you say?") but I'd like to have a set for around the house and track use. I'd like a good set, I'll pay whatever I need to within reason.

What about these?
earplugstore_2113_70921428

From Here: Childrens Ear Muffs

I know you guys take your families to the track and kids need something when you're at a TNT with gassers. What do you use?:thankyou2:

I use the same ones (Peltor Children's model). Have been using them for 7+ years now. When she was just a few months old I would cut foam earplugs in half, and roll them up and stuff them in her ears. With nothing sticking out she couldn't pull them out, and I'd keep a pair of tweezers handy if they got pushed in too far. We still go to a lot of gasser drag races, so the Peltors get used often. Of course they are great for the gun range too ;)

IMG_0001.jpg

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Use something every time!!! We used the ear muff type seen on the left in the photo above with my son and foam ones once he was older. He plays the drums now and we make sure he uses hearing protection whenever he plays too!!! Don't mess with hearing damage, it doesn't come back!!!

Michael, good looking kids, man. 7 years for $25 bux is great. I just didn't want to go too cheap and have them fall apart on me.

Also a great pointer on cutting the foam ones in half. I'm not a childproofing nazi, but read about choking hazards with foam plugs and could see that happening. Can't eat it if you can't reach it. LOL I'm hoping she'll wear the ear muffs. I can get her to wear a hat without too much difficulty if I distract her for 15 sec after I put it on.

Chris, I agree man. I did some stupid stuff without ear protection when I was younger. I can still hear fine now, but I'm sure as I get older I'll begin to notice a difference (Or not, as it usually is with hearing loss).

I can think of many situations around the house these will get used as well.

Its great that you're planning on doing the right thing, I too was careless with my hearing till about 2005. Luckily I don't think I did too much damage. I plan on my daughter wearing a set when she gets big enough to not be scared at the pulls. She is almost 2 and LOVES watching the videos of truckpulls, but is still scared of the loud noise in person. I think ear muffs would help her get over being scared easier.

You can also combine the foam plugs with the ear muffs for additional protection... This is great at very loud events!

A guy had a great pair on his little boy this weekend that looked like monster truck tires. I wish I had used them more also I am always asking people to speak up now.

That's them, maybe with the playful style the young ones would be more willing to wear them.

BTW, my daughter is the one on the right, the smiling kid on the left is the son of a good friend of mine from racing. He was wearing cheap-o earmuffs, they still work but didn't fit as well. Another use for them - my girlfriend puts them on her daughter to watch fireworks shows!

Back