AFC changes

CT2500

got around to pulling off my afc today hooked up a regulator with shop air and saw what was goin on. the foot started to move with a 1/2psi and was all the way out at 14psi. I have read that this is my starting point. what numbers should i see when its adjusted correctly? the reason for checking it is that i would be able to make around 10psi then from there the smoke would get heavy and takes quiet a bit to light the charger. DD the truck is a dog until the turbo lights.

got around to pulling off my afc today hooked up a regulator with shop air and saw what was goin on. the foot started to move with a 1/2psi and was all the way out at 14psi. I have read that this is my starting point. what numbers should i see when its adjusted correctly? the reason for checking it is that i would be able to make around 10psi then from there the smoke would get heavy and takes quiet a bit to light the charger. DD the truck is a dog until the turbo lights.
What injectors are you running?

Mine starts to move at 15-20psi and is a full fuel at 55-60psi.

Mine is a dog without the afc tuned. With its like a gasser, instant throttle response.

DDP 150s set to p pump psi. the highest boost ive seen so far is 50. now to get that kind of psi did u have to change the spring? mine feels weak i dont think the star wheel has enough adjustment to get were i want to be. i know i can only do so much on the bench before i put it back on the truck.

DDP 150s set to p pump psi. the highest boost ive seen so far is 50. now to get that kind of psi did u have to change the spring? mine feels weak i dont think the star wheel has enough adjustment to get were i want to be. i know i can only do so much on the bench before i put it back on the truck.
Yes I've tried a bunch of springs. I finally found one I like, its really stiff.

I have my starwheel as loose as possible, no tension on it.

If you think you'd like to try one, ill send you one. Just pay shipping.

Thanks for the info! I have assorted springs and what not but if I can't find the one I want I will take you up on that offer thanks.

Thanks for the info! I have assorted springs and what not but if I can't find the one I want I will take you up on that offer thanks.
Ill measure mine to give you an idea of the length.

welt didnt have much luck finding a spring that is machined on both ends. got a friend who is a motorcycle mech and was gonna see if he had any old valve springs kickin around. was able to stretch the stock one 1/4" so now the foot startes movin around 5psi and is all the way out at 25psi have not drove it yet.

i have had good luck using a stock 215 pump Governor spring. i also have my starwheel all the way back, i stretch the spring to adjust it.

A good baseline that I've been starting with is preboost screw just hitting the diaphram and full travel at 30psi.

Gonna have to get me one of them then. Drove it and it's a little better but I think it's still kinda pigish. Just have to keep playing with it.

you guys think maybe i should try kicking down the timing a couple degress? its at 26* now maybe i should try 22*.

you guys think maybe i should try kicking down the timing a couple degress? its at 26* now maybe i should try 22*.
I wouldn't. I run 26-28 and it hauls ąss on the bottom. It prob took me 2 months on and off messing with afc to get it right.

I wouldn't. I run 26-28 and it hauls ąss on the bottom. It prob took me 2 months on and off messing with afc to get it right.

yea just gonna have to keep playing with it. i am running a s465 83/74 1.0ar

scott, with the fuel shutoff lever in the up position is the governor lever making contact with the plate or going under? (assuming you are running a plate)

Jim I am runing a plate will have to check that. What would make the arm go under the plate? Do you have a stock set of 215 govener springs by any chance?

Welt checked timing with the dial indcator and it's at 22* would it be worth my while to kick it up to 26*?? from what I read 26* is the most I can go while being in the bowl? Still want to be able to drive it for long periods of time and not worry about melting a piston... If it makes a difference the engine is a H.O.

scott. what is the size of the spring roughly? i have a bunch of assorted springs at work i could see if i got something that may workfor u.

Back