Aftermarket 3rd Gen intercooler data

Rhett24

For all 3rd gen cummins owners.
What aftermarket intercooler are you running?
What was your cruising egts vs stock?
What was your top egts vs stock?
What was your boost increase vs stock?
What do you not like about your aftermarket intercooler?
Was your turbo able to spool easier/quicker?

I noticed no change going from a stock cooler to a ATS unit. Biggest waste of money and time. Unless you are pushing big horsepower numbers you don't need one.

If you get a boost increase by swapping to an aftermarket IC I am not sure I would call it an upgrade...

Went from a stock to a bd intercooler. Noticed nothing. But the bd unit is stout and it doesn't have plastic end caps....

Sent from my fancy thinking box

I'm running an on3 intercooler that I ordered through Lavon at Firepunk. Cruising egt's are about the same, peak egt's during a 1/4 mile pass have went from 1820* to around 1700* and intake air temp dropped about 20 degrees at WOT. Also the on3's are a good quality unit at a fraction of what the other company's charge ($550), and they look good too.

IMAG1272_zps3d61f438.jpg

IMAG1273_zps1ea6d2da.jpg

Considering a stock intercooler can have 8psi pressure drop across the core. Going to a higher flowing core thats less restrictive will increase boost. Rather simple concept.

Don't you guys know that more boost equals more powhar?? I wouldn't waste the money for a inter cooler on a DD 3rd gen unless the truck had the plastic end caps.

Explain to me how a less restrictive flow path increases pressure?

So I guess porting your head also increases boost?

Think about it a little more. Take pressure before a very restrictive charge air cooler and after the cooler. Note the pressure drop. Now replace the restriction with a much better sized unit what do you think will happen to manifold pressure with a better flowing IC?

I also wouldn't change the CAC on a stock third gen, the performance gain would be hard to even measure.

Keep your money. When you have everything else you want, or think you want, and have money left to burn, then buy one. Not to say it doesn't do anything at all, but there's a lot better places to spend the money first.

Not saying the new On3 charge are coolers are like this...but they royal screwed us and our customer on one of the first ones they built. Lavon even tried to help out and get us taken care of.

I dont care how cheap or good On3's charge air cooler is now...I wont buy anything due to their incompetence in the customer service area.

I know they had a few issue's with fitment, mine however went right where it was supposed to and everything lined up.

Think about it a little more. Take pressure before a very restrictive charge air cooler and after the cooler. Note the pressure drop. Now replace the restriction with a much better sized unit what do you think will happen to manifold pressure with a better flowing IC?

I also wouldn't change the CAC on a stock third gen, the performance gain would be hard to even measure.

Guess your not taking into account the drop in the pre CAC psi with this line of thinking? With less restriction down stream comes over all drop in friction forces.. At some point the amount of flow also becomes a factor.

Back