Aftermarket Head

97crewcab

Wrong.
Anyone seen or heard of an aftermarket head for the cummins?
Is there not enough room for improvement over the factory head or is it the cash factor?
I am sure there could be a market for these. Someone should be able to cast a new head and sell it for a similar cost to a full port, polish, o-ring etc? Especially if you go all out and machine off the intake and port the intake side... right or wrong?

For $14k, a midwestern fab shop will build you a billet head with raised runners.

brandon.

Ya know, I have been pondering this myself. With the big guns like Vic Edelbrock, and Dart. Im acctually very surprised we dont have much more for head options. I dont want to know just how much we'd get raped, but if it was made and modified like chevy cylinder heads, I could justify a grand in a sweet head!
Comeon Vic step up to the diesel power plate!! :rockwoot:

12v head preferably. A good port, polish, and o-ring gets $$$$.

Edlebrock said they have no interest in a diesel head.
We will see on the others.

97crewcab said:
Edlebrock said they have no interest in a diesel head.

Wonder what they would say to that if they were bombarded with thousands of requests via e-mail??:evil :pop:

RacinDuallie said:
Wonder what they would say to that if they were bombarded with thousands of requests via e-mail??:evil :pop:

The problem is we diesels guys are a very small market.... What we view as bombard they would see as just a few guys. This is the reason we have issues with the headstuds. The diesel industry as a hole is very small compared to say the import or GM market, thus the reason parts are soooo expensive compared to them.

How many heads do you think an aftermarket company would really sell? Which version would they make, 12v, 24v, or common rail? Someone like Eldebrock will sell thousands of GM heads where I bet it would only sell a handful of Cummins heads due to the cost.

To take the leap to an aftermarket head someone will need very deep pockets.... It is coming to that now do to design limits on the engines. Rods are bending so some are being made now, but they run $3000+ a set. Next will be either a crank or block both of with will run over 10K for a better design. Then add in a new aftermarket head and you are looking at over 50K in hard parts and the engine hasn't even been touched by a machine shop yet. The next generation of high HP 5.9's are going to be expensive! Only guys who are very wealthy or have big name sponsors are going to compete in this arena.

Doug

we contacted TFS about doing a head for the 2.3 ford 4cyl... they were very receptive and started getting the ball rolling w/ CAD drawings, etc. the fact that there are SO MANY circle track engines using the 2.3 helped us.

but, in the end, Esslinger caught wind of it, and made some changes to their 'race' casting and came out with a street head, beating TFS to the cut.

ideally if they could make a 12v cylinder head that had the ability to run an injector in the 24v location or the 12v location depending on how it's cut, that would work best. but, even a 12v head with a central injector would be nice and help keep costs SOMEWHAT sane.

but, if a water jacketed head comes out for these trucks, I fear that it will be a 24v :(

Doug, that is a very good point. Even though it seems like there r millions of us (in the multuiple forums on-line anyway) just how many would buy an aftermarket head.
It is amazing just how much R&D they'll put into stuff for brand spankin new engine in a corvette, but not consider us though. I guess we'll remain "farmtrucks" for a little longer. :kick:
Id be one to invest in the benefits of an "Edelbrock" head for my 12 valve though. But after years of wrenching on small block chevy's I also know the benefit of a good head too.
Its too bad too, for the cost of what they r selling an aluminum SBC Performer RPM head, theres just no way they could justfy selling a diesel head for twice the price. But like u said, just how much r they going to sell.

because you can port all you want but there is only so much you can do with the stock casting. it is the major limitation in the 5.9 with billet heads these mototrs would already be over 2000 hp. the fuel and air is easily attainable.

Back