Aftermarket Trans Cooler W/Fan... Wiring?

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Ok, so I have a trans cooler mounted in the bed of my truck, it has a 2 wire after market fan on it. What/How are you guys hooking it up? Id like to have it come on on its own so its one less switch I have to worry about. Also thought I would run a secondary manual switch for the times I know Im going to be working the truck hard.

What do I need to hook it to to make it automatic?

Mine came with a thermostat switch. And I have a switch in the cab that grounds the relay and turns it on also. How bigs this cooler?

D5117478-39A7-4077-8FA5-1AF11EB58D4D_zpswc8ljf6z.jpg

BB46AAF1-7695-4C38-9AE4-0E49F17BDEBC_zpsukqsnhff.jpg

It has a temp switch in it. Wire the temp switch to open one of the legs.

I have mine wired to 12volt keyed power so it comes on with the truck. I just run it through an accessory relay then to the fan.

That can kill a fan quick also mine has a duty cycle. Can't remember what it is though. It also has a 6" hole under it for air to come up through the bed.

You can also get a radiator probe used on Semi trucks as a switch. Put it in line with your ignition switch to trigger your relay.

Mine came with a thermostat switch. And I have a switch in the cab that grounds the relay and turns it on also. How bigs this cooler?

That would be my ideal set up!

I need to look at it deeper, but If I dont have any type of switch, thats what Ill be going for. And probably mount it the same way too. Right now its just barely away from the back of the bed. I dont think Ill need the hole in the bed for it though.......

I am guessing I don't get it, isn't that a temperature switch in the picture? Why not use it?

That would be my ideal set up!

I need to look at it deeper, but If I dont have any type of switch, thats what Ill be going for. And probably mount it the same way too. Right now its just barely away from the back of the bed. I dont think Ill need the hole in the bed for it though.......

Figured I had a hole for a stack and nothing was going to be under the cooler. My fan might kick on at a traffic light but then goes off. Need to install a little led light to let me know when it's on. And on a 2.5hr drive it hit 150* and that's coming from the pressure line.

Figured I had a hole for a stack and nothing was going to be under the cooler. My fan might kick on at a traffic light but then goes off. Need to install a little led light to let me know when it's on. And on a 2.5hr drive it hit 150* and that's coming from the pressure line.

How does it do when you're beating on it? High traffic towing, or doing multiple passes? I'd love to never go past 150!

How does it do when you're beating on it? High traffic towing, or doing multiple passes? I'd love to never go past 150!

It does really good beating on it. I see 180 racing from light to light but once you get speed and hold it. Say 40ish for couple blocks it starts coming down. Then if you get on the interstate it comes down really fast. And I haven't towed with it yet. I want to find a cheap gauge to see what the temperature is after it goes through the cooler.

Got home from work and took a peak at it, Looks like there isnt a switch in it. Its Dereale (Sp) brand with just two wires coming off it, so looks like Ill have to do the Temp switch to run it automaticly........

Should be able to get it properly mounted and wired up this weekend depending on if I can get the switch. Now to find the proper AN fitting to mount that too!

hmmm, I thought most derale kits had a thermostatic switch?

I've got mine mounted between inner and outer bedside on passenger side of bed, with the thermostatic switch mounted at the inlet side of the cooler. Trans has yet to get over 165 measured in the pan

May I ask why the upgrade? The stock set up is decent with a built trans. I think a bit cooler to replace the stock cooler at the radiator will be sufficient.

Back