Air shutoff pics

RedPuller

Diesel Inside
Just felt like sharing my air shutoff design. I think I spent a total of $50 on everything. The gate was $8 from Blastgate.com, it's a 5" but only measures 4.5" on the outside diameter. :bang I should have gone with the 6", but this one will be satisfactory.:) The only other things I had to buy were the steel cable and conduit from Home Depot & the clamps and 5" 90* boot from my local truck store, Attco Truck Supply.
Just need to make one more cable to run into the cab and it's good to go. Other than that, it works like a charm and I hope I never have to use it......

Joe

Attachments

• AirShutoff.jpg
    AirShutoff.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 202
  • AirShutoff1.jpg
    AirShutoff1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 157
good stuff, only thing i changed is i didnt like that thin sheet metal gate, i made a new one out of some heavier plate and then put a washer between the two halves of the gate.

Looks good Joe did you try activating it with the cable? from the pictire it looks like it might be pulling the pin at an angle and might bind up.

BBD

it will pull, mine is more of an angle and i have tested it numerous times...it will come out

Nice setup! I like the air intake tube. I can't run one like that because of my pesky alternator.

Looks good Joe did you try activating it with the cable? from the pictire it looks like it might be pulling the pin at an angle and might bind up.

BBD

Oh it works, pulls the pin right out and BAM! That is why I put in that piece of angled boot to get a good pull on the cable. Without it, the pin was being pulled right into the compressor housing. Works good though, could easily take a finger off if one is not careful. The in-cab cable is going to be the tough one to make work from that side of the truck.

Joe

Last edited:
good stuff, only thing i changed is i didnt like that thin sheet metal gate, i made a new one out of some heavier plate and then put a washer between the two halves of the gate.

I saw the one from McMaster Carr and it's metal gate was thinner than the one I got from Blastgate Co. I think this gate is a good 1/16" thick.

Joe

Nice setup! I like the air intake tube. I can't run one like that because of my pesky alternator.

Thanks Garrett,

Just dump that alternator on the puller and run a battery. Its nice having no fan belt, no alternater and no fan shroud to cluster up the engine bay. I just keep forgetting sometimes to turn on my elec. fans when pulling to keep the air moving across the intercooler......:bang

Joe

for the inside shut off I am going to run my cable down thru the shift boot along the tranny and over to the passenger frame rail and then up along side my other cable. My inside cable tho is a choke cable for a tractor (push pull style) and both will be hooked to the same pin. it will be mounted right on the shifter like a exhaust brake cable, that way its easy to get to and pull and i dont have to cut apart the dash to run the cable.

for the inside shut off I am going to run my cable down thru the shift boot along the tranny and over to the passenger frame rail and then up along side my other cable. My inside cable tho is a choke cable for a tractor (push pull style) and both will be hooked to the same pin. it will be mounted right on the shifter like a exhaust brake cable, that way its easy to get to and pull and i dont have to cut apart the dash to run the cable.

That sounds like a good route, I will be using a basic steel cable just to pull the pin out so I may have to figure some way of hacking up a hole in the heater core or something since I don't have a heat or A/C in the truck anymore.

Joe

That sounds like a good route, I will be using a basic steel cable just to pull the pin out so I may have to figure some way of hacking up a hole in the heater core or something since I don't have a heat or A/C in the truck anymore.

Joe

Looks good. Have any of you guys ever tried using a electric door opener out of a truck.I have one on mine, and i use a break away switch off a trailer to actavate it,and a switch inside the cab. Works great and dont have to run a cable all the way back to the rear.

Make a custom top bracket for the alt to roller it up closer to the engine and there is plenty of room for 5.5 inch boots and intake piping. On my 24v I removed the lifting eye also and those two things moves the alt a good ways...

IKE

Make a custom top bracket for the alt to roller it up closer to the engine and there is plenty of room for 5.5 inch boots and intake piping. On my 24v I removed the lifting eye also and those two things moves the alt a good ways...

IKE

Thanks for the idea Ike! Much appreciated.

Back