Airdog Extreme Pressure Loss

Red_Rattler

High Tech Redneck
I'm in the process of rebuilding my old burnt up pump to run dual pumps but the more I watch this video it blows me away that a 165 cant keep up with a 175 stock dual fed ppump with 650 hp.... I have a custom tork tek and it idles at 60 psi and going do the track its 25 mayyyybe 30 psi.... Is there something I'm over looking or is this pump just not happy trying to maintain that psi. It is LOUD as hell too you can hear it in the video over the truck running.

My buddy is letting me borrow his motor and tower off of his 200gph but it looks exactly like my 165 so I dunno if its going to help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZR7fcpTQH8

I cut the video down but until it takes effect fast forward to the 2 min mark

I was having fuel pressure issues and I finally got fed up with letting of as soon as the box hit and my fuel pressure going to 0 and went to the dtt assassin pump and never looked back. I have all the fuel pressure ill ever need!

X2 on a mechanical pump. You did check the simple stuff like filters, return spring, viton ball condition right? My airdog 150 kept up fine with a 210hp pump and 100hp injectors. Also what tork tek do you have, adjustable or fixed orifice?

sounds similar to what i have going on. the ad will be taking a permanent vacation.

Gonna look it over tonight for the simple things, I want a mech pump but just not in the budget this year...

I had the same problem, went with a waterman and she's good now, 45@ idle and 60 down the track.

I had similar issues, I had a home made fixed orifice OFV and that was causing my low pressure problems and would drop from 70-0psi on the dyno. Now I can hold 45psi pretty steadily with a stock modified valve. I have a 215 pump, competition DV's, and 5x.020 injectors. I have a spare AD 150 I'm going to run in a dual series setup. For those wondering parallel 150's don't like to play together very nice...lol

So I switched the motors tonight, changed filters and yea this pump looks the same but it a totally different beast. Idles at 70psi now and is way quieter and is spinning way faster LOL So we shall see, I have a hook on Thursday so fingers crossed.

Whats the do not go past pressure on a ppump, around 70 is sticking in my head for some reason

I ran 90psi for a while before I pulled some washers out of the AD pump to tame it down, if anything the AD pump will fail before something on the p7100 goes. Will (bigblue 24) runs quite a bit of fuel pressure on his junker drag truck with a 160 pump.

Glad you got it working. Do you think aligning the pump with the tower had anything to do with it? I just remembered the other thread on rebuilding an AD pump.

I ran mine @ 90-100 for a while too and after resealing my pump, I can't think of anything that would fail. Crush washers and o-rings are the only seals I replaced in places that see fuel. You see those same seals in power steering and brake systems, which see pressures over fuel line pressure ratings. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but you should be fine @ 100 if it drops too much @70.

So I switched the motors tonight, changed filters and yea this pump looks the same but it a totally different beast. Idles at 70psi now and is way quieter and is spinning way faster LOL So we shall see, I have a hook on Thursday so fingers crossed.

Whats the do not go past pressure on a ppump, around 70 is sticking in my head for some reason

Congrats!

And I have heard of 90psi being the grey area where if you let off of the throttle too quick, it can push on the rack and make it bind a little. If that happens, the only ways to turn off the truck are by cutting the air, cutting the fuel, or watching the block fly apart.
^90psi is just what I've seen/heard of a few times. Also, that high of pressure helps out 160 pumps, but doesn't help 180 and 215's nearly as much.

Soooo yea it holds pressure going down the track now 50-55psi but it also ate 4 fuses and a relay while going from the trailer to the scale.... Talk about mass chaos trying to Mcguiver that chit to hot wire the pump so I could make a run down the track. So I dunno if I'm asking to much from the pump to maintain 75psi at idle or what? Wires were damn hot and she snapped a 30 amp fuse. Fukin crazy. I might just rewire it and run it on a toggle but the damn wires that go into the motor will still be undersized per say.

I had similar issues, I had a home made fixed orifice OFV and that was causing my low pressure problems and would drop from 70-0psi on the dyno. Now I can hold 45psi pretty steadily with a stock modified valve. I have a 215 pump, competition DV's, and 5x.020 injectors. I have a spare AD 150 I'm going to run in a dual series setup. For those wondering parallel 150's don't like to play together very nice...lol

Been running them like that for two seasons now and they play very nice together.

I am having problems out of my 165 right now too with a custom 215 pump with full cuts and 5x16's. I replaced my fuel filter and it helped but it still drops. I was going from 50psi to 10psi now it drops from 50psi to 38psi at quarter throttle.

Back