All 48re to 68 swaps or vice-versa please come in.

90dodge

Always Broke
So my brother is interested in putting a 68rfe into his chevy cummins swap since his current transmission is screwing with od.

My question is, what is a 68 worth? And you guys who switched to a 48, do you have your stock trans laying around?

He is on here but doesn't comment much. Maybe he will chime in.

A 68 is hard to upgrade, BUT, according to a great friend of mine, they are very simple to tear down and rebuild, as he has gone through them with little more than basic tools.
He's gone 100s of thousands of miles on his home rebuilds before.

I think the biggest part might be a stand alone controller.

Mark.

A 68 is hard to upgrade, BUT, according to a great friend of mine, they are very simple to tear down and rebuild, as he has gone through them with little more than basic tools.
He's gone 100s of thousands of miles on his home rebuilds before.

I think the biggest part might be a stand alone controller.

Mark.

He is planning on a pcs controller. I think he said he priced one to the tune of ~800. He doesn't want one built. The truck won't ever make enough power to tear one up I don't think. Its just turned up a little and gets drove to work everyday.

He is planning on a pcs controller. I think he said he priced one to the tune of ~800. He doesn't want one built. The truck won't ever make enough power to tear one up I don't think. Its just turned up a little and gets drove to work everyday.

From what I've read, the tune accounts for a lot on them. Suncoast used to not sell a tune with theirs and they had a lot of unhappy customers killing them surprisingly quick. Well... Forum users, so take that with a grain of salt.

Some have been tossing a 6spd Allison 1000 behind them.

Also, at slightly higher than stock power level, people with the H&S Overdrive have been going hundreds of thousands of miles with hard towing.

The 48re is going to be reliable after a build, but it's a hard shifting 4spd at the end of the day.

That's exactly what I've heard. I know jory said his was night and day after a tune.

Not really on topic......but I had a 11 dodge with the 68. Stock trans tune sucked! Overdrive tune is worth every penny!

When I became the second owner of my 2010 mega, it already had H&S Overdrive, I got MCC from Dave at Draconian like two years ago now and it was a night and day difference from the Overdrive to the custom transmission tuning. Look into MCC if you do not have it yet. Custom transmission tuning for the 68RFE should be considered a requirement for anyone with one of those transmissions. I had an issue flashing it once which required me to go to stock and drive it home on stock and the difference between how the transmission acted versus MCC was immense. It felt like I was driving a box van or something.

I know it's going to benefit greatly from tuning, what's a used stock 68 going to cost?

I would call firepunk seeing as how they convert 68 trucks over to a 48re on the regular. Or so it seems.

Back