All the motivation I need to delete the heat exchanger

madmikeismad

So mad
Went out this morning and there's a huge puddle of red chit under the truck, look under and the line from the exchanger to the cooler is pissing everywhere, I think it rubbed on the oil pan.

So I'm deleting it all the way, it's already unhooked from coolant, so it's just taking up space.

Can I just cut the lines and splice with a high pressure hose? Would the 130-180psi I'm running be too much for that? What if I can flare the ends of the hard line a little?
Or could I run soft line from the trans all the way to the cooler, and just have the right fitting put on for the trans end?

On my puller I had a front driveshaft break and break the lines before the Trans cooler. I just spliced into the line with some rubber house and hose clamps I got at napa. Held fine for years. Can't remember exactly what psi it was rated for but I'm wantin to think around 300psi

Last edited:
On my puller I had a front driveshaft break and break the lines before the Trans cooler. I just spliced into the line with some rubber house and hose clamps I got at napa. Held fine for years. Can't remember exactly what psi it was rated for but I'm wantin to think around 300psi

Just left the hard line ends smooth? Any special clamps, or just standard hose clamps?

Thanks teddy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I just cut them with a hacksaw and used a file to smooth the burrs. Didn't flare the ends any. Just used standard hose clamps. A couple on each end IIRC. I never had any trouble with it. Wasn't really a daily driver though.

a standard flare tool will flare it, I do it all the time and splice in some pushlock hose

I doubt you got 130-180psi in your cooler circuit. Do you only have the stock air cooler on it?

I've had them come apart, the last two I found a piece of the lines that are done away with that had the right bend and swedgelocked it completely with steel. The first one I ended up swedge locked with barbed fittings to slip the hose over. Take some time and do it right the first time, I've lost a tranny not doing it right.

I doubt you got 130-180psi in your cooler circuit. Do you only have the stock air cooler on it?

It is a built trans with manual vb.

Yes.

I've had them come apart, the last two I found a piece of the lines that are done away with that had the right bend and swedgelocked it completely with steel. The first one I ended up swedge locked with barbed fittings to slip the hose over. Take some time and do it right the first time, I've lost a tranny not doing it right.

What is swedgelocked?

Essentially conpression fittings with a collet... More of a permanent "hard" fix

Just do away with the pieces of hard line and run a completely new line from Trans to cooler. Napa sells a red oil rated hose that I use. 1/2" id. Trans uses a 1/4npt fitting. I use the brass 1/4"npt to. 1/2" barb that is designed for air line at my local napa and it works great with the red hose. I also put some plastic loom on it to protect it from rubbing.

Much better option then sliding it onto the factory hard line and clamping. Btw, you don't see anywhere near 100psi in the cooler lines.

Just do away with the pieces of hard line and run a completely new line from Trans to cooler. Napa sells a red oil rated hose that I use. 1/2" id. Trans uses a 1/4npt fitting. I use the brass 1/4"npt to. 1/2" barb that is designed for air line at my local napa and it works great with the red hose. I also put some plastic loom on it to protect it from rubbing.

Much better option then sliding it onto the factory hard line and clamping. Btw, you don't see anywhere near 100psi in the cooler lines.

Excellent! Thanks!

Napa is where I was headed, but I needed to know the fitting size and line size.

My cooler lines were different since the trans came out of an 02 vp truck. I screwed hose barbs into the trans and have hyd hose and double hose clamped to the stock cooler lines. Going on 3 yrs now now issues.

My lines rubbed through and I just used hydraulic hose and ran new lines. Much easier to configure and get in place than the steel lines were.

On the cooler end of the hydraulic lines I just slipped them over the flared ends and clamped the lines. If I were to do it again, I'd get a cooler with threads on it and then I'd be able to thread everything together. But the hydraulic hoses slid over the stock cooler lines, clamped have worked fine thus far.

power steering return hose works real nice for that.. 2 hose clamps on each end...

Maybe a little late but I use the first step of a double flair it make a nice bulb on the end of the tube.

Maybe a little late but I use the first step of a double flair it make a nice bulb on the end of the tube.

Not too late, but im just gonna run all new line, and maybe throw an extra cooler in line somewhere.

Done. Finally. Took 2 hours, but a lot of it was removing the exchanger, which isn't done yet because it's loose but not coming out. Can't figure out whats holding it and its too dark in there to see LOL Definitely stuck in the back of it though.

He wasn't kidding about the red hose. Heat that chit.

They can be a pain. There's two or three small bolts I think into the trans adapter and a couple on the motor mount if I remember right.

Back