Allison vs duraflite

Duramax03

Trying to decide whether to build my Allison or swap to a duraflite. Anyone have any suggestions which route to go?

It depends on your main goal. A allison is much more driver friendly and cheaper. Duraflite will make quicker passes and shift much more harsh along with costing a few thousand more to do.

Last edited:
Going for an 1000+ engine build just looking for most dependable option. I'll hit the drag strip and hook to a sled occasionally

How is the allison more driver friendly? I'm not understanding that aspect.

Ryan

I would assume tuning has a lot to do with it. a 47/48 is a sledgehammer compared to an Allison.

I'm no Allison fan, but for a daily, I'd imagine I'd prefer it vs. a 4sp.

I can't imagine giving up my tunable 5R to replace it with an old sledgehammer of a 4r

But my truck is a daily driver, not a race truck

If it is mostly street use, Allison.

If competition mostly, Duraflite.

Be honest with yourself about real use before choosing.

1000HP and nothing is dependable.

If it is mostly street use, Allison.

If competition mostly, Duraflite.

Be honest with yourself.

1000HP and nothing is dependable.

I agree. How many passes are you typically getting out of your Alison's at that level? Wether it be before hard parts replacement or clutches

Ryan

Hey guys, new here but i saw this topic and thought id try to help out.
There's a guy up here who builds a allison that hasnt been broken yet, and he is looking for people to push the horsepower through it. So far Brian with his built dmax engine, 3-s366's (might be modified bigger, cant remember), dual cp3's, 60% overs and 2 stages of spray (300ish hp) hasnt broken his allison yet (11.0ET @ 7200lbs on fuel only). He also builds them for 0% defueling on shifts which is great for drag racing! He is the same guy that built Torreys 48re 3 seasons (and over 300 wide open passes) ago and is still going on the original clutches/parts. His warranty is 2years whether you drag race/sled pull/street drive it.....if you break it he will fix it. A friend of mine roasted a converter in his built 6 speed allison this year and it was replaced with no charge.
He's expensive but so is replacing/refreshing transmissions and converters all the time.
Im happy to answer any questions as best i can, I do not work for him but am doing the best i can to help the performance folks get a reliable tranny so that they can focus on the more important stuff lol!
The name of the company is Commercial Powertrain out of Balzac Alberta

There's a guy up here who builds a allison that hasnt been broken yet, and he is looking for people to push the horsepower through it. So far Brian with his built dmax engine, 3-s366's (might be modified bigger, cant remember), dual cp3's, 60% overs and 2 stages of spray (300ish hp) hasnt broken his allison yet (11.0ET @ 7200lbs on fuel only). He also builds them for 0% defueling on shifts which is great for drag racing! He is the same guy that built Torreys 48re 3 seasons (and over 300 wide open passes) ago and is still going on the original clutches/parts. His warranty is 2years whether you drag race/sled pull/street drive it.....if you break it he will fix it. A friend of mine roasted a converter in his built 6 speed allison this year and it was replaced with no charge.

He's expensive but so is replacing/refreshing transmissions and converters all the time.

Im happy to answer any questions as best i can, I do not work for him but am doing the best i can to help the performance folks get a reliable tranny so that they can focus on the more important stuff lol!

Sounds like a lot of smoke being blown here.

Ryan

Um....wow!?

Im not trying to stir the pot and cause drama/arguements, just trying to put it "out there" that a "no defueling" allison can be built and will be warrantied "if" you break it. If there are any questions please ask, if i cant answer them then im sure Steve (commercial powertrain) can:
403-651-6921

11.0x's with triples isn't all that fast actually, and I know plenty of people that are really good at breaking the unbreakable.

So he wants people to buy his tranny and do his r&d?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He simply wants someone to buy one and push its limits and see where the weak point is, much like Torrey and Joesixpack have been doing. The 48 has been proven, now he wants to prove the allison and 68 next.

11.0x's with triples isn't all that fast actually, and I know plenty of people that are really good at breaking the unbreakable.

It doesnt seem fast, but the truck's race weight is 7200lbs (full interior, cage, etc), if the math is right it should be putting out around 1000hp. I forgot that it wasnt a max effort tune on the fuel only pass either.

If you live in the states, and need a competition Allison, you call Evan @ Limitless Diesel.

Back