almost stock w/ high egt

4wheelpeel

first off i must say this site is great.

alright, i bought my truck about a month or two ago and have done the bhaf and gauges. a buddy installed what looked to be a ten plate and turned the star wheel a few days ago. i hooked my egt up after the plate install so i dont know what it was runnin without it. now my egts hit 1500 very easily just getin on it for a few seconds. my gauge stops at 1600 and i can max it out. ive been baby'n it and have exhaust coming tomarrow.

question is that i have a glowshift gauge which are on the cheap side so could it be the gauge itself or the fact that i have stock exhaust? ill know more when i put on the exhaust in a few days.

thanks in advance.

edit* oh i have searched like crazy

turned to star wheel which way? id also guess that uve got the 215 pump.

joggin my memory...but try turning it the other way so that it pulls some fuel out untill you build some boost. then did he put a boost elbow in? cause 18 psi or so, is not goin to clean any of that smoke up. from what i read tho the 215 will run hot. but u still have stock dv's and sticks.so it shouldnt be that hot. but then again i have a 160, so i dont have much experiance with the 215's and how they behave with slight mods.

That plate needs not to be ahead of center to start with. Also make sure the afc housing is not full forward. After you get the open exhaust then you can play with these some more. I have mine set now where even towing I seldom get over 1250 pulling hard but have done numerous trial and error adjustments. Oh, and mine really hauls butt if I get heavy with the foot.

plate position on a 215 pump is important. Like has been said, no need to have it past the center of it's travel range. What kind of boost are you seeing? Before I bumped my timing, 1600* was not a problem in 3rd, though that was with the plate full forward. Runs much better with 16.5* of timing, plate 2/3 forward and a tight-ish AFC. Each pump/engine is different, Lot's of trial and error to dial one in:)

it doesnt get hot until i build boost then it sky rockets. and im hitting about 31 psi. no boost elbow.

after i throw the exhaust on ill start adjusting it.
thanks for all the input guys :bow: .

Back