alternate fuels.......

HPAddict

Since no one else has said anything, what do you think will be the next cheap, plentiful, and powerful fuel for our trucks.........

Waste motor oil! I have been running a 50% mix in my PSD for a while now.:rockwoot:

LOL yeah really.. wasto motor oil.. Your lucky cause you have a ford... any of the CR people try to do that they will be needing 6-8 injectors and various fuel system parts.

Kudzu......if we could. That stuff grows too damm fast! If we could only make fuel out of it.

:Cheer: I filter it to 5 micron then put it in the truck. The pic of the injector is of of the set I modified myself for some DIY stage 1's. I can't say if would work on a CR because i do not have one. My HEUI injectors do not seem to have a problem with running it. I am currently running a 70% mix in one tank, and i noticed it starts to smoke a little if i let it idle for to long. Driving it down the road i notice little to no blue smoke and it runs fine. I trailered down to TS running a mix of diesel and WMO without a problem. Try it at your own risk but at 4.25 a gal i need to find a way to save some cash. I have researched this a lot before i did it the first time, i suggest you do the same with your specific motor. I have access to over 300gal of oil so i am going to keep playing with it. So far i have not had to change my filter on my truck, which i believe to be a 10 micron.

Attachments

• DSC00289-1.jpg
    DSC00289-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00290-1.jpg
    DSC00290-1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00291-1.jpg
    DSC00291-1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 23
Well were not even going to discus that the crap in WMO is less than 1 Micron Absolute, but more importantly WMO is not a fuel its, full blown oil. Its not ment to be burned(let alone) in a DI engine and I'll bet you, that new injectors are going to be in your future. It may or may not happen today or tomarrow, but your going to repalce them all. People running WVO and other things have issues with injectors and you do not even heat the mixture to decrease the viscoity. Your Ford 7.3L is much much more tollerant than any injection pump drivin diesel truck. Your lift pump is not ment to pump the higher density/viscosity substance your burning.

Those waste oil Heaters are all very simpel machines and can burn that without any issue.. your DI diesel will throw the fuel system at you and various other things if you continue to run your "blend"

Well we do not need to discuss anything less than 5 micron because those particles can be in diesel fuel at you local station, and will get by your filter on the truck and right into the injectors any way.

As far as meant to be burned, it is not, but nither was peanut oil back when Rudolf Diesel developed the first diesel engine to run off of it.

New injectors wont be in my future, I might have to replace some wear parts inside the injector but i doubt it will be from the WMO.

Wvo needs to be heated because it is alto thicker than WMO, and the reason "People running WVO and other things have issues with injectors" is because they shut the truck down on a WVO mix and in gums up the inside of the injector as is cools and sits in there. WMO will not do this.

Yes the injection system is more tolerant than others, but there is a 01 vp44 powered dodge right down the block that has been running a mixture of WMO for longer than i have with no ill effects, We both have lift pumps so there is no problem there and i have a fuel pressure gauge.

Running WMO will not work for every one but it will work for some. I will continue to run it and if i have any problems i will report back to this thread.

BTW I was, and still am, running 100% WVO in my 86' 6.9l for 2 years with out issue, I just start it and shut it down on #2 and all has been well.

Thanks, Matt$.02

Well we do not need to discuss anything less than 5 micron because those particles can be in diesel fuel at you local station, and will get by your filter on the truck and right into the injectors any way.

While true, but there will not be traces of zinc,iron, copper or any other wear metals in diesel fuel... like there will be in WMO, which wont be good for the injectors.

As far as meant to be burned, it is not, but nither was peanut oil back when Rudolf Diesel developed the first diesel engine to run off of it.

True, but his diesel engine was not anywhere close to as complex as the current DI diesel engines. Older IDI's and such will work just fine, any of the DI's will show signs of issues. THere is no better alternative fuel, all of them will have issues with the engine... reguardless of what souce it comes from.

Wvo needs to be heated because it is alto thicker than WMO, and the reason "People running WVO and other things have issues with injectors" is because they shut the truck down on a WVO mix and in gums up the inside of the injector as is cools and sits in there. WMO will not do this.

If your going to just mix WVO and fuel then your in the same boat. Most WVO are two tank systems and remove this issue by purdging on diesel, and then startup on diesel.

I have an endless supply of WMO... I ran a 45% blend in my 01 PSD for a couple of years without any problems... I built a 55 Gal drum with a Frantz TP filter mounted on it and let let a pump blend and filter the batch for about a day and then pumped it into the truck through the filter. I think those TP filters get it down to 1 or 2 microns which ain't gonna mess up anything.
I have a 08 6.7 CR truck now and I am not going to try that on here....

Oilguy

I have seen somewhere a filtering system where it cleans the oil enough so its safe to burn. Because I'm told thier is metal in the oil witch can make it unsafe.

I just got hooked up with these guys that are running pretty much straight veggie oil in their merc diesels. The guy has about 6 of them and the only thing that he said has messed up so far is his 98 model. The lift pump messed up on it. I was wondering if you guys had tried this in the 12v's. Not Bio diesel. Its veg oil with I think 15% mix of kerosene and one gal of gas to lower flash point. They have been in this for a couple years now and haven't tried it on anything but the 80s model merc diesels. They are also building me a free hydrogen generator for my 12v. The only concern I have is pre ignition from an incandescent glow in the combustion chamber igniting the hydrogen before the diesel fuel or jet fuel, whatever I happen to be running at the time.

I think the next fuel will come from algae it grows really fast, it can be grown in the desert, (dont mess with food crops or land!!!) and is already being used to scrub co2 emissions from smoke stacks of production plants. I have heard of oil contents as high as 60% . Rich

i have 2 neighbors running waste oil in 12v and 6.9 idi ford 80% mix

has anyone tried it on a cr or 6.0l ford?

First time I tried waste oil my carter pump crapped out on me. Good thing it was under warranty.

I ran about 1.5 gallons of waste motor oil per fill up a few months ago, just to get rid of my oil change buildup from my truck. Everything was good and then my fuel pressure started getting finicky on me. I changed the black fuel filter and all was good, but then every once in a while my psi cruising at 75mph would drop intermittently to 5-6-7 psi on the grades but recover as soon as the load was removed.

I eventually dropped the holley blue to find that the internal brass screen was full of small black particles. I removed the screen and all is well now.

I only filtered my oil by gravity feeding it through a cotton tee shirt rubber banded to my funnel. I ran about 10 gallons of waste motor oil through my truck before the fuel psi started getting funky.

After running this oil and then reworking my fuel lift system, I went down and dynoed 499.2HP, so I think my VP didn't mind the mild 5% mix for a few consecutive tanks. But who knows, my VP has had acetone, methanol, nitromethane, gallons of 2 stroke oil, wmo, and lots of over-the-counter additives ran through it. Maybe my VP44 is a freak of nature!

I forgot to add in that I have added cinnamon oil, vanilla scented lamp oil, and wesson corn oil a few times as well. Those were added strictly for aroma therapy via solar eclipse.:hehe:

I was wondering if anyone has a lot of knowledge or exp running 100 % biodiesel. I have an 01 cummins and have read in a lot of threads and sites that a lot of things have to be changed ex: hoses, lines, and special filtration systems. I talked to John Robinson who has been working on diesel for a long time and he told me that on the old 12 valve and the 24s I should be able to just dump it in and go. That the cr's were more picky and may have injector problems. Has anyone else been running this and at what % without changing it, and any problems from it ? any suggestions on other alternates ? I get tired of crying like a little b$%ch every time I fill up

Back