aluminum DOM

2" 7005 aluminum links held up under a 5000lbs 450hp rock crawler, with some massive gear reduction and sticky tires, I think they will be fine as traction bars.

Do you mean 7075?

I have used 2" 7075 for an adjustable track bar and some ladder bars on a different truck that I have and have seemed to hold up fine. I like the looks of them better then DOM as I turned the ends down to the size of the hemi joints. If I remember right 2" 7075 what about the same prive as DOM after you weld the thread ends on. With the 7075 you just need to drill and Tap for what ever size joints your using.

Mike

Braking is nothing cause of wieght transfer...either way...tension is even better....ad they will be plenty strong. I break 15k joints with my 1.5 inch sch 10 sa 53 eb pipe.

Tell me the sectio, material, and length and I will tell you how much force to break then....or better yet if you include your tire dia and final gearing....the torque your engine would have to make.

OK, in a street app, maybe OK.

Not for sledpulling! I have yet to see it for myself, but some people claim to see flex in my 2" square x 1/4" wall tubes...and the section modulus and modulus of elasticity are FAR higher in my setup....so if mine are "borderline," then the aluminum won't even be close, not by a long shot.

Cquestad....compressive stresses are fine but you are totally glossing over the slender column buckling mode. If you know those calcs then it should be obvious.

OK, in a street app, maybe OK.

Not for sledpulling! I have yet to see it for myself, but some people claim to see flex in my 2" square x 1/4" wall tubes...and the section modulus and modulus of elasticity are FAR higher in my setup....so if mine are "borderline," then the aluminum won't even be close, not by a long shot.

Cquestad....compressive stresses are fine but you are totally glossing over the slender column buckling mode. If you know those calcs then it should be obvious.

This. we are not considering ideal cases here.

Either way, why not ditch the leaves and add a triangluated 4-link with coilovers????

They are slender...

I will get back with hard numbers...paying taxes right now.

Spinning tires in dirt does not load a truck anymore than hooking up slicks on a track.

They are slender...

I will get back with hard numbers...paying taxes right now.

Spinning tires in dirt does not load a truck anymore than hooking up slicks on a track.

Why will a 70 live in most street apps, and an 80 is just under a matter of when if used to pull? Remember pulling on some tracks is just spinning them in sand. Others they are hooked up considerably harder.

That arguement is pointless...I will cave and say they are both hard on axles.

My daily driver is not exactley typical...1000 hp on 37x13.5's. A 70 would not live long for that application either.

If it buckled enough to be visible...a slender element is already "almost colasped".

I will run some calcs manana...

Like I said before....I can break 15k joints (rated in tension...only god knows how strong they are in compression) with measly 1.5 inch sch 10 sa-53 pipe...I think 2 in aluminum will be fine with better joints...or less than 1000 hp.

That arguement is pointless...I will cave and say they are both hard on axles.

My daily driver is not exactley typical...1000 hp on 37x13.5's. A 70 would not live long for that application either.

If it buckled enough to be visible...a slender element is already "almost colasped".

I will run some calcs manana...

Like I said before....I can break 15k joints (rated in tension...only god knows how strong they are in compression) with measly 1.5 inch sch 10 sa-53 pipe...I think 2 in aluminum will be fine with better joints...or less than 1000 hp.

Yeah. I thought you had a pretty stout truck.

Buckling turning into collapsing - one factor is yield strength...mild steel and aluminum alloys can be in the same ballpark if you know what you're buying.

Another factor is what other constraints come into the picture...you can flex a bar but if the leafs are clamped and pick up some of the load, then you can have limited buckling if you don't get it hopping in the process.

Just for discussion purposes:
2" OD x 0.25" wall round tube: I^4 = 0.53
2" sq. x 0.25" wall square tube: I^4 = 0.91 (1.7X)

I an NOT saying anyone is FOS...good discussion though, us neanderthals are always looking to move weight forward :D

Here is the skinny...or should I say the slender?

48 inch long bar...compression only (means a rod end at either end)

SA-53EB (black carbon pipe)

1.32 od .133 wall 5k allowable
1.66 od .140 wall 9k allowable
1.99 od .144 wall 12k allowable
2.375 od .154 wall 18k allowable

6061 alum tube
2.00 od .250 wall 12k allowable

6061 alum pipe
2.375 od .150 wall 13k allowable

Use what you want...just weld it right!

This wall all conservative ASD...

OK, but these never fail in pure compression....get out the slender column buckling formula and you'll see why one never worries about pure compression failure.

Just to make sure I follow you -

Are you using Euler's formula with K = 1 (hinged/pinned both ends) as:

Fcr = (E*I*pi^2) / L^2 ?

Yes...and actually used Enercalc to crunch those really quick...
36 ksi yield and 29000 ksi E for SA-53
35 ksi yield and 10000 ksi E for 6061

15 years and 8 states as a PE...for a short resume

Yes...and actually used Enercalc to crunch those really quick...
36 ksi yield and 29000 ksi E for SA-53
35 ksi yield and 10000 ksi E for 6061

15 years and 8 states as a PE...for a short resume

Doesn't tell all

Coming from an electrical engineer, I have reviewed project print packages prepared by PE's that I could have given to an electrician and had used less red ink marking them up. Just saying.

Back