Another 47RE Issue

RockinRam96

First of all my knowledge of automatic transmissions is, to put it in gear and go, I have never torn into one and really figured out how they work. I have also read through some of the threads here but I can't seem to match my issue to one of these threads.

So, what I have is a 1996 automatic (47RE from what I can gather) with 290,000, and as far as I know the stock transmission. This truck has been all stock since day one. I bought it 30,000 miles ago and have only taken the fuel plate out, put a K&N filter on it and a 4" straight pipe. I don't drive the truck hard and only hauled with it 3 times, weight at most 7,000lbs (load and trailer). I do have a torque converter lockup switch that I installed about a month and a half ago.

The issue that I have been having is the transmission does not want to shift into 2nd or 3rd gear some times. The trans not shifting into 2nd gear happens almost every afternoon now when I leave work, this is the only time it happens. I can turn about 2,000 rpm let off the throttle, get back on the throttle and the transmission will shift into 2nd gear at about 1,800 rpm. After that one time it never happens again while driving.

The third gear shift issue happens almost all the time while driving. It will not shift into 3rd gear until about 2,000-2,200 rpm or about 45 to 50 mph when it does this. Then when it does shift it shifts real hard.

Some days it will have difficulty shifting into 3rd gear, other days it will shift into 3rd gear. flawlessly. The days that it hates shifting into 3rd gear it will have trouble shifting every time it needs to make that shift. Days that it does shift into 3rd gear correctly, the trans will shift at about 1,600 rpm, about 40 mph and be nice and smooth. Days that it shifts correctly all 4 shifts are nice and firm, and very distinct shifts.

I have tested the line pressure before, off of a port on the drivers side of the trans, just above the oil pan flange. I was using a BD Power chart and my line pressures matched that chart for a stock valve body. However that was probably 20,000 miles ago. I did replace the stock steel lines with hydraulic hoses. I regularly check the fluid level and that has never been an issue. My lines do not leak, but I do have a small leak around the oil pan gasket that I need to address. I was going to pull the pan, change the fluid and maybe do some tuning (if possible) on the trans when I was there.

My only thought is a govern pressure solenoid, but like I have said I don't have very much knowledge about these transmissions.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Zach

Install a new Borg Warner 15% over-sized governor pressure solenoid and new mopar transducer(governor pressure sensor). As long as your speed sensor in the OD section is reading a steady speed, changing those electronics should fix you up.

Lavon

Dodge dealer or most transmission shops will have one or be able to get one in short order.

I havent bought any parts from this place, but this is the solenoid you need. Borg Warner Heavy Duty Governor Pressure Solenoid
Borg warner 50185. Transducer can be had at a dealership

I found this one as well searching around. I was just concerned about quality. I'd rather buy from a truck transmission shop to ensure I am getting the correct part.

To do this all I am going to need is the governor pressure solenoid, governor pressure sensor, gasket, filter and ATF, correct?

Is there any adjusting I can/should do while I am in there?

Thanks. But I replaced the governor pressure transducer and solenoid a couple weekends ago. Seems to have made a bit of a difference. Actually shifts better under hard acceleration vs driving like a q-tip!

Back