Another Damper Gone??

Brian Lent

I had my first stock damper go around 100k and bought another stock one for $5 off ebay that was like new with low miles. Yesterday I was towing about 14k from pa thru md and kept the revs betwee 2000 and 3500rpm. Went out today and started it and heard some weird noise so looked and the rubber is sticking out and wobbling again. I ordered a fluidampr that will be here tomorrow. I was wondering how many others had a similar problem. I only got about 43k on this one. Also is the pinning absolutley necessary with the fluidampr?

pinning kit is less then $50 and suggested...... why NOT due it?

Have you heard many issues with stock dampers? Do I just have a very unbalanced engine or just reving too high for too long? I know guys with 12valves reving 5k with their stock dampers and I rarley hit 3500 rpm. Thought maybe the new design had problems or something.

20k miles here on the fluidampnr with no pin kit running the tnt/r. Very seldom go past 3500 so I guess its a choice you will have to make.One thing to consider more so is the factory dampner bolt are torque to yield and not recommended for reuse.Invest in some new bolts before the pin kit.

My first one starting coming apart at about 80K. The new one has about 30K and no problems so far. Mine hardly ever gets above 3400 rpm, though.

David

236k on mine no issue at all. mayhbe you hot rod it around too much

I tow alot and often hold the revs at 3k so maybe that does it. I do run it hard but just thought they would hold up a little better considering how stout evrything else is.

Have you ever pulled anything HEAVY up a hill ? I'm at 3K quite a bit traveling the throughout the west.

David

I dunno what you'd consider "Heavy".. I've done 22k up pretty decent grades.. One of em lasts 13 miles.. And I never had to stretch it's legs over 2550.. Never had to go that high pulling anything.. Even my Dad's 40 ft toyhauler (18k) behind his 05 dually (another 8+K). And that's keeping the speed limit of 70..

Towed pretty heavy my friend. Just tipped the scales at 34k GVW the othe day with my 40'. And I pull a case 590 backhoe on a 26' dovetail regularly. I know what you mean by having to keep rpms up but I also know pulling a hill at 3+ isn't good. I keep it at 2500 or below all the time with a trailer. So far no problem.

Most of the time it is at about 2500-2750 but occasionally getting a run for a hill in 5th which is what I pull most of them in cause it keeps me around 70-75 mph. There was a hill on rt 50 thru WV that was crazy windy steep and I was in 4th and about 2800-3000 for about a mile. Well regardless I have the fluidampr coming today, some on another site said that the directions from fluidampr say that the pinning is required over 4k. Really don't want to pull the front off to drill it but will if you think it is absolutley necessary.

isn't the most torq made in the 2000-2500 RPM range anyways. well it was on mine at least. guess it would depend on the turbo your running. if your towing that much you would greatly benefit from twins and would never go back to a single once you tried it.

I tow all over the West, hit the Donner Pass, Siskiu Grade, Grape Vine, Tehachapi grade etc... With no need to go over 2200 rpm's.

If you go with the Fluidampr, or anybody's after market dampner for that matter you should follow there recomdations.

BBD

You can pin the Fluidampr without taking much apart, just have to notch the bottom of the fan shroud a little. I also run the RPM's out when towing but that is because my charger breaths too good so to speak and it will throw a low boost code and put me in limp mode. I will definitely note this and keep an eye on my dampr.

I've had my truck up to and over 4,000 rpms quite a few times -- sometimes for 20 seconds straight. No pin kit, new factory bolts, red loctite. Had to use an impact wrench to get them off when I disassembled my engine.

stocker replaced at 70,000 due to rubber coming apart. I run tnt/r no pins, the fluidampner has been on my truck for 2 1/2 years.

Back