Another electrical problem...

ROSKOE115

SLICKER THAN A FRESH BASS
The truck has a new trick. Voltage on the cluster drops from 12-13 all the way down to the lowest point possible. Edge CS monitor shows its at 12.2 - 11.9 fluctuating when idling. I can shut the truck off and turn it back on and the volt meter shows to be working at 12 or so volts then it will go down to 8 after a few minutes of running. Also Randomly it will rev on its own when im toodling around. I checked the Battery terminals and ended up busting the top of the passenger side battery by driving the ground down. Put over 100 miles on it and it continues to stay right around 12 volts.

So I have a new battery and I have also replaced all 4 of the battery terminals and I still have the same problem. Any ideas why this could be going on or what is causing it? I have googled multiple things with no real leads.

Alternator beginning to go out. This is exactly what mine did for a week before it went completely out.

When you say "REV" on its own, you mean the RPMs or the volt meter? Sounds like the alternator to me....unless you mean engine REV (gain LOL). If the engine rev's it could be because of low voltage to ECM or you might could pull the ECM plug and clean the contacts with some spray and reattach. Jerk the alt first.

Could be a bad ground. You better check all 173 of them.

Well I am going to get an altinator tomorrow.

Oh and by rev I mean engine rev.

Last edited:
Altinator fixed it. I went with the Nippondenso style altinator even though it had a Bosch on it to begin with. They both looked identical but the price difference was $120 or so. All the pictures on the computers at parts stores showed the Nippondenso style to have the positive post on the side of the altinator case, but the one orilleys ordered did not have that. It was in the same location as the Bosch.

Thought I would give everyone a heads up that's looking for an altinator but is confused like I was. The Nippondenso does work on my 2002 in place of the Bosch.

Thanks for all the help.

I had the same problem, but it was the 140 amp fuse that was bad on mine. $10.00 at Dodge dealer fix it.

The 140 amp one.

Glad you got it fixed there Garbage Ass.

its the big azz fuse that bolts between battery cable and alternator at the fusebox.

Trying to help him out, cause he can't see over the fender to read the numbers!

Why does it have to be like that? Man my friends are d!cks!!! LOL

I am having similar issues. My voltage gauge does the same thing but not all the time. My temp gauge goes from cold to hot and back and forth. My truck revs on it's own like some one is goosing the pedal. I have dead pedal and now the truck breaks up real bad when driving. Any one else have this happen?

Back