Another Turbo ?

stackx2

I've been doing some reading and not sure what route to take with my Turbo upgrade. Ive got a 91 5 speed, with a 180 pump, 4k springs, no plate, timing at 18*,and 5x12's with the my old stock h1c. What my question is, I have a stock 8 blade hx40w off an 8.3l (haven't torn it apart yet for specs), and a s366 (66/74/.91) sitting on my work bench in the shop. With the manual tranny I have heard that the 66 will be to laggy and same with the 40. I tow heavy often and with my h1c my egts sky rocket.I still need moderately good spool up but don't mind sacrificing a little. Any input is appreciated.

Edit: This turbo will have to work with my next set of compounds.

John

Last edited:
I have an HX40 on my truck with a 16CM exhaust housing and it does not do bad. Spool up with my 5 speed is not bad.Heaviest I have been since install it is 20K gross weight. I also do not have the fuel mods that you have. I Have all the stuff to put a HT3B under my HX40 but it will not fit in my Chevy and be able to Keep my A/C. I have it in the classified section.

i had planned on a hx35/40 hybrid over an ht3b. going with a single 451vgt now. itll be a good choice if you want something fast spooling and good flowing. i have it sitting on the bench if youre interested. it just needs a balance. theres a 7 blade 40 wheel in there.

Back