Another victim of body rot. Half ton body swap?

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
My father in law has a 95 that he purchased new and the body is falling off of it like the majority of these models are. I have found a 1996 model 1500 with the same interior options that is in great shape body wise with a blown engine. Can the complete body be swapped over and then install his dash cluster for gauges to be correct or is the wiring harnesses going to be different? I am assuming the body mounts should all be the same. Both are regular cab long bed 4x4.

id assume it would all swap over, considered doing it my self a few times. actually dealing with it again with the 98 i just picked up. but after weighing out time and money i think its easier just to order replacement panels from a body shop in town. im doing both fenders, both rockers and cab corners and both bed sides, should cost me bout 1200 + my time. chances are ill save a few bucks by chopping up a few junk yard trucks.

My thoughts are that we have found a complete truck for 1200 bucks, still good factory paint, and the half ton running gear can be sold off for a return. Maybe looking at 800 bucks once we figure in our time invested. But not worth it if all of the interior needs removed from both to swap wiring IMO.

Pretty sure all the wiring swaps over. Meaning I think you can just leave the wiring alone, as long as you get the same vintage of truck. Just did this on my puller, but I'm not using the factory wiring. Just using a switch pannel and my own wiring. As far as mounts and everything it swapped over perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, that is the info I was looking for. Maybe I will find someone that has went through this also and found it is plug and play.

I'm contemplating doing this also, my 95 isn't terrible but isn't pristine either. The problem around here is that most cabs will be rusted as bad or worse, so I'll probably end up fixing this one regardless. If I find a rust free cab I'd be interested in doing the swap though.

I have found a rust free truck with good paint for $1500 but think in the current state of flat tire and blown up 318 I think I can get it for $1200. Will go take a look tomorrow.

im using a half ton bed and both the doors on my 3/4 ton. its all the same minus some of the wiring
that being said im running lots of new wiring to replace 17 year old wiring

Back