Any body daily drive there P7100 conversion?

Mike Holmen

the Diesel dude
Been debating doing a 12V conversion on my 02 truck. I drive my 02 10k to 15k miles per month at times, even during winter stuff (-40 deg's F).

Like to hear from real world guys driving their trucks. Thanks guys

Nice, any feed back on your findings? Any issues during cold weather operation?LOL

everyday, this winter wasn't really too bad but it's started everytime even at 9 deg f

Last edited:
Just stick to the VP Mike, it hasn't let you down yet.

I daily drive mine every day with no issues. depending on elevation I would stay with a smaller turbo.

Just stick to the VP Mike, it hasn't let you down yet.

Ya, I its easier, but I want to daily drive a 13mm pump:evil. I want to run espar, remote truck starter. What you guys doing for a high speed idle, was wanting to rig something up, so I can just push a button on the remote. Was thinking about using one of those soleniod throttle bumps. Might swap in a 12mm pump for the winter 16-18hr daily operations.

I have an adjustable injection pump gear, you guys running different timing for the colder ambients. The rest of the motor will be near stock 12V with VE non-IC pistons.

Thanks for the response guys.

I have put about 35k mi of daily driver on my conversion and many road trips. It’s nice to finally get good fuel economy! My HRVP would never get better than 16.7MPG I have been getting 19-21MPG (depending on wind) with the P-pump and 250HP DDP injectors. It was only difficult to start one time when it dropped to -25 deg f (But that was with
15w-40) the only thing I have not tried to get to work yet it the cruise control. Any time I think of possibly wanting my VP back I work on a VP truck that has some sort of injection pump issue and it makes me very happy I have my P-pump.
One thing I will say is they take A LOT of tuning to get to run just right (if you’re picky).

I would recommend one if you have the patience to set it up and tune it they way you want. But once you get to that point where you are really happy with it.....it stays there and runs great all the time! And P-Pumps won’t leave you stranded in a POS town known as Green River UT.

Daily drive mine. Haven't managed awesome fuel mileage yet, but I have huge tires I hope to replace, and still need to fine tune some things. Starts when cold. But, I don't have anything fancy done to the pump either.

I have put about 35k mi of daily driver on my conversion and many road trips. It’s nice to finally get good fuel economy! My HRVP would never get better than 16.7MPG I have been getting 19-21MPG (depending on wind) with the P-pump and 250HP DDP injectors. It was only difficult to start one time when it dropped to -25 deg f (But that was with
15w-40) the only thing I have not tried to get to work yet it the cruise control. Any time I think of possibly wanting my VP back I work on a VP truck that has some sort of injection pump issue and it makes me very happy I have my P-pump.
One thing I will say is they take A LOT of tuning to get to run just right (if you’re picky).

I would recommend one if you have the patience to set it up and tune it they way you want. But once you get to that point where you are really happy with it.....it stays there and runs great all the time! And P-Pumps won’t leave you stranded in a POS town known as Green River UT.

Wow, thanks good info. You run a remote truck starter? I want to sit in the hotel and watch the snow/ice melt off the window. I haven't had any real VP issues, at least one that I didn't create in the first place. I just want a decent step->up in power from a VP. I've owned the truck since new.

I was thinking about running is the 180HP pump, with 13mm barrells/plundgers, stock cam, stock 181's dv's, 4k gsk. Going to hope to set the first plate position at around 400cc and plate pulled around 750-800cc mark. Of course real world might change what I do. I'm going to run 12V china head, dual intake sized valves, #60 springs, intake removed, ported and polished. The deck/head will be adjusted so I get 17 to 1 comp ratio (fly cuts change stuff).

Thanks again for your post.:Cheer:

Last edited:
You won't want to run any smaller than a 6x.016 injector with a 13mm pump, so some of your mileage, smoke, and efficiency criteria might not be satisfactory for you.

Running 7 x .013's isn't too bad as far as smoke and mileage(17-18.5). For a daily driver you'd be better off to run your rack travel down around 14-16 mm with a set of 181's and mach 7's(around 7 x .011). You will make good power, cleaner, with better mileage. I ran my CDS pump like that and got 19-20mpg. I haven't had good luck with 6 hole injectors so far. They always seem to come with alot of extra lift and smoke badly. I just finished putting together a set of Westons 6 hole nozzles with stock lift to see if that helps.

Initially I plan on running 7*10's or a 7*14's. Might try a few different sticks down the road, just have these on the shelf.

The block is a VE engine, knifed cut crank, already set-up for a gridle/long 14mm studs, not sure on what rods I'm going with this time around. I had the engine given to me awhile back would be nice to run it.

Would be nice to run a big rig power numbers and daily drive with some old iron.:rockwoot:

Sorry for the dual post, Seth on the pump I'm working with SDX and you guys, will talk more offline on that combo.

You guys do anything for electronic high idle, really want something that will idle at around 1200 to 1500rpm, to warm the engine up during the winter months.

Espar eliminate the needs for the high idle 99% of the time.

not sure how many miles tyler had on the truck when he did the pump swap but i am running a 66/71, 600cc 12mm pump, JL Machine 7x12, .020 DV's, .084 tubes with stock lines, and 181/210 cam. i have put 20k miles on it since i started driving it 6 months ago. i believe he had driven it for about a year after he did the conversion so i would say there is a good amount of miles on the conversion

plenty of power can be made off of the 12mm pumps. IMO your gonna sacrifice fuel mileage with a 13mm pump if your gonna DD the truck. save the money on doing the pump and put elsewhere in the truck.

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone who was happy trying to DD a 13mm pump...then again I haven't heard of many people trying it. What's the point, anyway? A maxed 215 pump will get you more than enough power to be annoying as hell on the street. And you're gonna drive this thing 15k miles a month?! Holy chit.

Not sure what you've been hearing, but 800 rwhp trucks (no matter the brand) won't be reliable in that situation. Like trying to commute in an F1 car.

Crazy power and long term reliability rarely go together.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back