Any body run dual oil piston cooler squirters?

Mike Holmen

the Diesel dude
Just building a CR engine, its a 03 block going with the 03 metal j squirters. The stock main squirters are currently blocked, been thinking about installing the VP mains oil squirter as well running the j's squirter. I'm also running the 325 CR 06-07 piston.

Oil pump will not supply enough volume and will starve the main and rod bearings.

Customer doesn't want to run the earlier pistons. Wants to run the new style of pistons.

Oil pump will not supply enough volume and will starve the main and rod bearings.

Have you run dual jets before?

I was thinking you might only get a slight reduction in oil pressure but should keep up.

The truck isn't going to running twins, I was thinking that there should be enough volume to supply both cooler jets.

The 12v and 24v engines were fine with just one set of squirters...

The 12v and 24v engines were fine with just one set of squirters...

Lots of 05-07 CR engines have melted down issues. The newer CR have both the j's squirters and mains available. Most are plugged by the factory. Just had an 06 fail last week. The newest 5.9L 325 CR piston has a real shallow top ring lands. The factory spec for the top ring is 18 thou and 25 for the second. I usually put the rings in abit looser than that.

9 times out of 10, CR piston melt down is caused by fuel system failures which in turn over heat the piston. Fix the real problem, don't put a band-aid on it.

Bad piston design, and the nozzle pattern seems to spray more onto the crown. Melted our completely stock 05 this way. Fuel system tested fine, put it together with some 480's and 8holes took the head off for ****s after almost another 100k and looked awesome.

Last edited:
Speaking of 480's anyone have a cummins part number for them?

The guy really wanted to run his old injectors, lack of cash. He insisted on the 325CR 06-07 piston. I wanted to at least get the piston coated with some ceramic just to give it abit more protect/survivablity for the heavier than normal loads. Out of the box the top ring is 18thou and 2nd ring is 25thou, seems tight. I even had the cylinders opened up an extra 0.5 thou than normal, more towards the larger size. #6 was openned up to 0.75 thou.

Buy them from Jeff @ Mumau Diesel (seven 2 four) 354-3136

I have a wholesale account with Cummins Western Canada, I have bought from Jeff before when I wasn't able to source it locally, but it saves me a bunch on shipping and customs when I can buy it here.

Okay I have had a few minutes to search and these are the QSB part numbers I have come up with:

4943930 1mm over
4943929 .5mm over
4943928 std (I am just assuming as I didn't find anything to confirm it)

I also found a
4955622 number that is supposed to be a QSB piston from a CPL of 41860.

I am curious as to the difference between the two qsb piston numbers.

Any body have the metal piston oil squirters for an 03/04 5.9L CTD part #? All I've been finding is the newer style. Just trying to get this engine done and back running. thanks guys.

Mike it wont work well to use 04.5 and up pistons with a 03-04 head and injectors. The spray goes all over the place and will then cause problems way beyond wether or not you use 2 squiters or not. IMHO 1 squirter is more than enough, as mentioned earlier melted pistons are tuning issues or fuel system issues. My pistons in my old engine were still perfect even running at over 1000 hp for a couple years and spraying a reasonable amount of nitrous.

Back