Any CAT mechanics on here?

There is no old files for an MXS. All the Acert files are crap. The only engines that have pre-EPA files available are the 40 and 70 pin ECM's which ended in early '04. All Acerts except the BXS are 120pin and the 70pin BXS's won't accept the older 70pin non acert files.

Only way to fix an Acert is aftermarket either with BullyDog, PDI, DieselSpec, Boost Engineering ect. Believe me they run AMAZING tuned. The factory chargers are good for around 900hp and the bottom ends are bulletproof. 4 bolt rods and big bearings make a great platform for HP.
pe2ezaqy.jpg
If work wasnt so slow I was going to PDI Stage 1 it and watch peoples jaws drop lol:st:

Wonder if I can find a factory 550 ecm that hasnt had new files put on it then add a BD or something. Probaly have as much money tied up in it as a PDI tune going that route though.

Wonder if I can find a factory 550 ecm that hasnt had new files put on it then add a BD or something. Probaly have as much money tied up in it as a PDI tune going that route though.

Just have a PDI dealer flash it and be done with it. You could buy the BullyDog downloader and have them send you a higher HP tune. I have a friend with an MXS and had them make him a 900hp tune for weekend sled pulling. He runs it everyday though with no problems. 120pin ECM's are very expensive and if you go the PDI route it doesn't matter what file was in it they will flash whatever you want. Your only limited by your wallet. Boost Engineering has tunes good for 2500hp and 3800rpm, yee haw!

Last edited:
Just have a PDI dealer flash it and be done with it. You could buy the BullyDog downloader and have them send you a higher HP tune. I have a friend with an MXS and had them make him a 900hp tune for weekend sled pulling. He runs it everyday though with no problems. 120pin ECM's are very expensive and if you go the PDI route it doesn't matter what file was in it they will flash whatever you want. Your only limited by your wallet. Boost Engineering has tunes good for 2500hp and 3800rpm, yee haw!

I want to make it usable horsepower lol. PDI said 650 to the ground with just a stage 1 for mine. It is still a company truck but, I have a lil room to make it breathe a lil bit you could say. I put those lil "Power" Harness's on it they helped a lil. Still think its funny I put one on the one my uncle drives to give it supposedly 100 for the isx cummins. Sounds like a Hotrod vp truck now. Least it runs pretty close to my 475 Cat. Being if you go by rating his should be 585 lol.

Does bullydog make a downloader for the 3126? I have had 2 different people say something about downloaders for the 3126 but the one i got the other day is an inline style that uses the ICP and MAP sensor. It helped a little bit but not much. I guess im going to save my pennies and send the ECM out to Diesel Freak and just deal with this gutless pig till i can ship it. On a side note it did get 8 mpg on its run today

Last edited:
Does bullydog make a downloader for the 3126? I have had 2 different people say something about downloaders for the 3126 but the one i got the other day is an inline style that uses the ICP and MAP sensor. It helped a little bit but not much. I guess im going to save my pennies and send the ECM out to Diesel Freak and just deal with this gutless pig till i can ship it. On a side note it did get 8 mpg on its run today

Could always buy a cheap semi and as long as the living quarters are so big its considered an rv.

Could always buy a cheap semi and as long as the living quarters are so big its considered an rv.

Yea but then i have to stretch it again. If i had it to do over again i would have bought a semi and stretched it but i didnt. For no more then i have in doing this i cant really see spending 3 times that to do a semi. If i can get the power up to what i need. Its not considered a rv unless dmv signs off on it to get it tagged and reg as an rv and that isnt easy any more. Ive been down that road with them

Last edited:
Yea but then i have to stretch it again. If i had it to do over again i would have bought a semi and stretched it but i didnt. For no more then i have in doing this i cant really see spending 3 times that to do a semi. If i can get the power up to what i need. Its not considered a rv unless dmv signs off on it to get it tagged and reg as an rv and that isnt easy any more. Ive been down that road with them

It's simple here in Ohio. You can tag any class 8 as long as it has a place to store food, prepare food, eat and no 5th wheel. However no one actually checks the truck and once it's tagged RV your free and clear. Every truck/tractor puller with a semi is an RV and all have 5th wheels.

BullyDogs downloader is only for the '02-'08 C7

I do a lot of cat work. I also have the flash files and software to change hp or whatever I want.. The software is hacked and I do not need cat for passwords.. You guys with c15 complaining about hp you need your fls and fts changed to 170/0.. The guy on here wanting more power out of 3126 I could flash your ecm for you for free to what ever hp is available from cat all you would need is to mail it to me.. The hardware changes that cat talks about are for bigger injectors and turbo which will both affect the egt, the piston is more than likely alluminum in your engine versus steel in higher horsepower.. They do not want the liability of melting your engine down.. However why didn't you just tell them you had already changed the hard parts.?

Well my displeasure for this engine and Cat in general has escalated. Sitting in the drive way yesterday working on the air ride and I had it running. Hit the button for high idle and let it run for about 15 minutes while I was working on it. Pushed the button to return it to normal idle and when it returned I bumped the accelerator pedal with my hand. May have gone up 500 rpms over normal idle. The truck died and won't refire. I pulled the line off the filter housing that goes to the front of the head and there is no fuel coming out. So it looks like either the gear has come loose on the HUEI pump, the fuel pump is broke or the filter under the truck is slammed full of crap which I'm doubting. Any insight into this before I put full coverage on it and torch it??????

Torch the 3126, neighbor farmer had one hell of a time rebuilding one for his tracked tractor. Nothing but problems. Farmer sold the tractor after dropping 12k into a stock rebuild on that engine.

Not worth it after hearing the horror stories from this guy.

It's been so long since I had to work on one of those. But the first thing we would do on one of those boat anchors when it got towed in for a no start was disconnect the sensor on the lower front of the pump. That sensor was a major cause of no start. It was usually a 50/50 if it was the sensor. But disconnect it and recrank. If it starts with the harness disconnected, you need a sensor. If it still no start. You need to get in further.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks is that the 2 wire plug? Sensor has a jam nut facing the back of the engine? Cat said it had something to do with fuel pressure regulation? Also even if it was bad shouldn't the pump still be moving fuel since it mechanical?

Honestly its been 8 years since I worked at the cat dealer here. But I don't recall there being any fuel in the high pressure oil pump.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Well it seems these things have a major issue with the bolt that holds the gear on the HUEI pump backing off and the gear is a compression fit like the pump gear on the P7100. Thats what happened. Pulled the front cover and everything was loose. So i put it back together and its running. Till next time.

Anyone ever found a aftermarket air filter for these things????? Ive been on every website and on the phone with summit trying to find a AFE or K&N for it and cant find anything. The one thats in it is so thick you cant even blow air through it with a blow gun.

Back