Any more timing left?

Tacoclaw

I searched for a similar thread with pics, didn't find anything.

I pulled my head off to put studs and a 188 cam in, but I had a couple scuffed walls. Gotta pull it down, and I'm looking for some opinions on whether or not I can bump my timing.

1990 W250, tweaked VE, bone stock timing, unknown angled 5x14s(Generic 435s I think), non-IC'd block. (I know, barely belongs in the performance section, but that's all I figured mattered for this subject.)

I'm worried about the one jet starting over the bowl. The walls were scuffed towards the rear of the engine only, and that leg shoots off to the drivers side, so I don't think it's causing the problem. Picture was taken from the front looking back.

e2eea842.jpg

Thanks, man. I just talked to a fellow that said that odd leg may be because I'm not running the spacers for 7mm tips in a 9mm head. He said they could potentially wobble a bit.

Totally bummed about the timing though, all these punk kids with their timing bumps and mine's already filling a non IC'd bowl at the stock marks...

I just talked to a fellow that said that odd leg may be because I'm not running the spacers for 7mm tips in a 9mm head. He said they could potentially wobble a bit.

Did that sound realistic?

Meh, who knows what's going on in there, it was a better explanation than I had. It's not like there's anything I can do about it anyways. LOL

You think that odd leg will cause a problem on the edge of the bowl? I could back it off a bit to get them all in the bowl if I need to.

Try this one on for size.

Needle deviation or a poor finish on the EDM surface can cause an orifice to fan the fuel rather than display a nice smooth jet, typically this fanning extends upward. This would explain what you are seeing, and also why it is only present in one area.

Makes sense, but there's still nothing I can really do about it. Thanks for the info.

I assume since it's a fan and not the full jet that it won't be burning up that lip, I'll just do like I've done most things on this truck. Ignore it and hope it fixes itself.

Or send those injectors to smokem and let him fix/replaceparts them. So you can bump timing and keep fuel in the bowl,
Is that the only scuffed cylinder?
If so that fuel is causing the problem, increased egt's and a poor burn especially back there on 6 will create issues.

That is picture of #1. It's at TDC and I haven't rolled it over to check it or #6.

The big scuff is on #5, and they get much better as they go forward.

Back