Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

This is for an HE351VE?

Just confirming the exducer... I've got 86mm? :Cheer:

Nope, 451 with the Titanium comp wheel :Cheer: Looks like more room than I thought for a 66mm comp wheel :evil Though I only have room enough for a 65mm turbine :frown:

What is the advantage of a titanium compressor wheel? Wouldn't it reduce spool since it's heavier than aluminum? Or can it be made thinner to offset the weight increase?

I think theres a 451 on ebay right now, but he indicated there is some intake damage and I asked for a pic of the damage, so well see something new to mess with in the future.

What did you end up ordering?

Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail <- that guy... I took some photos with my phone as I made the bracket and installed it. Managed to drill a hole in my hand in the process to, guess I hadn't left enough blood, sweat, and tears under the hood of this project yet :doh:

What is the advantage of a titanium compressor wheel? Wouldn't it reduce spool since it's heavier than aluminum? Or can it be made thinner to offset the weight increase?

The titanium is more durable and has a longer fatigue life. You are correct about the titanium being considerably heavier than the aluminum though. I guess in a fixed geometry turbo the spool time is definitely noticeable, but in my case it is still FASTER than stock. The one future advantage I see to currently having a Ti wheel is that when I switch to a 64 or 66mm aluminum wheel I shouldn't notice much difference in spool :Cheer:

I think theres a 451 on ebay right now, but he indicated there is some intake damage and I asked for a pic of the damage, so well see something new to mess with in the future.

Intake damage might not be such a bad thing, could send it off to Industrial Injection and let Shane see how big of a wheel he can fit in there :poke: That is when you get the money to do so, I do believe that it will cost a little more than $1k for that work... I know it negates the fact that these are cheap alternatives, but then again having a Holset/Borg-Warner hybrid with a 64 or 66mm compressor and 65mm (or 68mm depending on the exhaust side of your 451) turbine with INSTANT spool and an EB would be completely worth it IMO.

Also, I just had my first run in with problems about condensation in the DP lines... Must have puddled in the bottom of my coil and froze, didn't take much to thaw it, but I plan to add a T in the line at the lowest point with a drain valve. That way every couple of days I can just pop the hood while the truck is running in EB and open the valve to push out any water in the line.

Once I figure out this Vcast crap so I can transfer pics to the computer I'll post the pics I have of the bracket I made to hold the actuator and how I extended the arm... Or maybe I'll message them to my email, or I might go take some pics with a real camera and maybe a short video of how everything works.

Almost forgot, the EB works decent in my current configuration, but I need to find a way to regulate the DP at say 40psi while the EB is on, otherwise my actuator regulates it to ~15psi. Which for the time being is fine since I do not have 60# springs yet (I plan on switching to 4k gsk and at least 60# springs shortly)

I took some photos with my phone as I made the bracket and installed it. Managed to drill a hole in my hand in the process to, guess I hadn't left enough blood, sweat, and tears under the hood of this project yet :doh:

and he started crying and instantly text me complaining about it :hehe:

and he started crying and instantly text me complaining about it :hehe:

Hahaha no, took me about 10 to 15 minutes to get the bleeding to stop... Jerk, I was going to send you a pic of it, but I remembered you can't recieve media messages. I thought it looked kinda cool, everyone wanted me to go get stitches, but I just figured that woul be a waste of time/money that I don't have to spare right now. Almost done with this wedding thing, Jan 2nd is the big day then another week in Florida for the honeymoon and I get to start my "other" project that's been sitting in the driveway for the last two months :bang At least she is going to split costs 50/50 since that will be our spare vehicle :rockwoot:

OUCH!!!!!!:doh:

Meh, I barely felt it, but it has become one of those annoying pains...

Whats that other project?

99 Dodge Intrepid that is going to be converted to RWD with a 318 Magnum and a 46RE (maybe an RH if I can get it). I have a bunch of 360 Magnum parts that will slowly be pieced together to go in the car later on down the road. But, like I said, it's supposed to be our spare vehicle and I can get a turn-key 318 Magnum relatively cheap to drop in for now :rockwoot:

Well, 1223 miles of mixed highway/city driving, driving through a snow storm, and getting caught in a traffic jam for a little over an hour burned 60 gallons of diesel... Have to say I'm happy with that considering we actually spent a LOT of time driving stop light to stop light in Alabama :bang

Also, it was very nice to watch the DP and boost to see how they acted at different housing settings at cruising speeds, it definitely helped to find a sweet spot in the housing for intitial setting. I averaged 650* on the pyro at 80mph on the flats (varied due to elevation and wind direction from 550 to 750) as well as being able to keep boost down to 5psi. I also learned that when I open the housing up cruising in town I can actually hear the nice throaty exhaust note that I had started to miss since installing this turbo :rockwoot:

Meh, I barely felt it, but it has become one of those annoying pains...

99 Dodge Intrepid that is going to be converted to RWD with a 318 Magnum and a 46RE (maybe an RH if I can get it). I have a bunch of 360 Magnum parts that will slowly be pieced together to go in the car later on down the road. But, like I said, it's supposed to be our spare vehicle and I can get a turn-key 318 Magnum relatively cheap to drop in for now :rockwoot:

I want to do the same swap with a Neon, but I'm just wishing.

you still averaged 20.4 mpg so thats not to shabby, we get to leave tomorrow morning to head back to WI, meh

Just topped off with 1848.3 miles on the trip odometer and fit 31.116 gallons in. Most of those miles are driving stoplight to stoplight in Florida on US 19. Which SUCKS, because about the time you get in a good rythm (sp?) you run into traffic coming off a red light while you're still going 65mph... If not it's between 55 and 65 stoplight to stoplight trying not to get run over (like that's truly a problem LOL)

I want to do the same swap with a Neon, but I'm just wishing.

Hahaha, yeah that would be a better swap, the only reason I like the Intrepid for the swap is that there is ZERO firewall cutting :rockwoot:

Well, 1223 miles of mixed highway/city driving, driving through a snow storm, and getting caught in a traffic jam for a little over an hour burned 60 gallons of diesel... Have to say I'm happy with that considering we actually spent a LOT of time driving stop light to stop light in Alabama :bang
where was you at that was stop and go traffic

Does anyone know what the size is on the comp wheel of a hx35 or a cr turbo? Just trying to compare to the 351?

scott2001;961798where was you at that was stop and go traffic[/QUOTE said:
Hwy 231 through Montgomery and Birmingham... Not to mention every little town had to have at least one light to throw in the mix :doh:

Definitely taking I75 back up through Georgia like we normally do.

Does anyone know what the size is on the comp wheel of a hx35 or a cr turbo? Just trying to compare to the 351?

The early CRs basically had an Hy35 (designated an HE341cw), the 04.5 and later had the HE351cw, which as far as the compressor side is concerned is the EXACT same turbo. Only difference is the cw is a 9cm wastegated housing, while the VE is something like a 3.5 to 26cm infinitely variable housing. Oh and the VE has a 60mm turbine vs the cw's 58mm turbine :Cheer:

Do you have a closeup pic or vid of the setup?
The new vid on YouTube? Do you use the electric actuator there?

Back