Anyone replace DLD 241 with a NP 205?

I know they used them in some 1st gens. But, why not just use a dhd or 271d? Do you already have a 205?

ZStrokens right. I'm doing a NP205 because its my only option. Believe it or not the chain dhd 241 or the 271 are stronger and have way more gear reduction. Reason #1: when load is applied to the front drive line the 205's gear train tries to expand (shove each other away from the other) in turn the case or housing tries to split or burst. On the chain driven case tries to pull the front drive sprocket towards the driven sprocket and compress the case. That's why they can get away with using aluminum.
#2 the shafts in a 205 are toys compared to the dhd 241 or 271 and are broken fairly easy.

Thanks guys. If I install a dhd 241 or 271, will I have to change the shift lever also? I know the dhd and the 271 do not have provision for speedo gear. Is the Dakota Digital box the best fix for that?

Go with the 271, it's what you'll have to get after you break the dhd. With the 271 you'll have to modify the shifter linkage a little

Thanks guys. If I install a dhd 241 or 271, will I have to change the shift lever also? I know the dhd and the 271 do not have provision for speedo gear. Is the Dakota Digital box the best fix for that?

Depends on what year 241DHD you get. 241DHD out of the same year truck will work.

Go with the 271, it's what you'll have to get after you break the dhd. With the 271 you'll have to modify the shifter linkage a little

Depending on his power goals, there is a good chance a DHD will be more than strong enough...

My truck is a 96. I am going to pull in an 8000lb and 8500lb street diesel class. We are limited to a 2.5 inch inducer size. Just guessing, I am hoping to be in the 400-450 hp range. I am trying to think ahead, in case I jump up to a 2.8 class down the road. Have to run OEM drivetrain from one-ton or less.

DHD survived fine in 1300HP single trucks. One thing to remember is the 271 has aluminum planetaries.

well for one, the 205 is a passenger side drop T-case, and unless you put a 1st gen axle and leaf springs under your truck.........

anyway, i agree, stick with a DHD case and you'll be more than ok

well for one, the 205 is a passenger side drop T-case, and unless you put a 1st gen axle and leaf springs under your truck.........

anyway, i agree, stick with a DHD case and you'll be more than ok

Unless..... He used a old ford out of a F250, 350 tall boy 1977 or older

Back