Appraise your conversions as soon as they hit the road.

rs359

Just a reminder to Insure at appraised value . We are doing Cummins conversions in 2 94 Suburbans The first one was driven 3 months and was totaled being a 94 it was only worth 3000.00 dollars. The plan was to finish it first then appraise, all that was left was interior and paint.
mms_picture1.jpg

This was all it took to take it out.
mms_picture2.jpg

I called an appraisal company and when I explained the nature of the swap I was told that an appraisal can be made before the vehicle is completed and can be updated for free. In the trucks pre collision state it would have appraised at around 12000 dollars.This was my brothers Suburban and as I am working through the last few items on the list for the 2nd one I am putting appraisal as a major priority .
Rich

I was told it can be insured with any company but must be insured for the appraised value . I had contacted some of the companies that do classic autos and they would not insure due to age (not old enough) .
Be careful as some insurance companies will cancel your insurance if the vehicle is modified in any way. I was told this by 21st Century auto insurance. Even a K&N air filter . Their rep said they would cancel coverage and not pay out if the vehicle was involved in a wreck, and found to be modified in any way. I did not think they could do this. Rich

MAN, im sorry to see that! Now you got me thinking about mine. How does the appraisel work? Do they have to see it or you just tell them what you have in it?

thanks,
Joe

Thanks it does suck to put so much work into something and loose it so soon . I am happy to report another body has been located and it will be a 4x4 this time.
I have spent the better part of a whole day trying to find an insurance company that would insure for appraised value . It would seem the thing to do is to get full coverage and then if something happens present them with the appraisal . My insurance company reluctantly told me that If I had full coverage and something happened they would have to pay the actual value .If I had documentation proving it was worth more then they would have to pay it.Rich

I called the company in the link and he even said if we had not accepted the check he would have got the actual value for us. to appraise they prefer to have the vehicle brought to one of their offices but it can be done from photos.

i know with my progressive insurance on my truck i asked them about the lift kit and stuff on my truck and what i ended up having to do was insure for acessories plus the value of the truck dont know if that will make up for what is in it by now but i dont plan on finding out any time soon lol.

You got takin out by a Prius. It doesn't get any worse.
:doh: it was a paseo Almost as bad though. You gotta wonder how a vehicle that small changed the direction of a 6500 pound Suburban while staying under the 35 mile speed limit. Rich

Well looks like i know what im doing tomarrow! Hope they can just look at pictures b/c my truck is in storage right now.

I tried to do a stated value policy on mine...my premium would have gone from 130 a month to over 400.

The best thing to do would be to carry full coverage and have an appraisal on standby, until someone sees our need for special coverage.

rich how exactly are they appraising these vehicles? are they doing it based on the value you have in it or do they have a general list of market value for each thing on the vehicle?

From what I gathered they look for others like it that have been sold and also on the condition of the vehicle.The quality of the install would also comes into play.Rich

I'm insured with AUTO OWNERS and have a stated value policy on my BURB for $25K no questions asked. My premium went up $12 every 6 months so it was a no brainer. All they required was pictures of all of the outside of the vehicle and pictures of all of the modifications to it to keep on file. They told me that they basically wrote me a policy like that for a conversion van or something like that due to the age of my BURB. I know I would be PISSED if my baby got totaled out with all of the money I have sunk in her. DURAMAX SUBURBANS are few and far between, let alone GMT-400's with a DURAMAXand ALLISON in it that is 4X4.

Back