Are common rail trucks going to ruin diesel motorsports?

RonA

Just curious what other people think about the reliability problems associated with high performance common rail trucks. Just this year I have seen many catastrophic failures on trucks that shouldn't be having them at the power level they are at. I've always thought that the biggest plus with the Dodge diesel was how cheaply they could be modded, and still be very reliable. I'm not trying to bash the common rail. I know they are a tuners dream, but the reliability is not as good. They look like a great way for shops to make money, but having to budget spare motors for the racing season with a 10 or 11 second truck seems harsh.

I've certainly had my share of the CR issues but some were just Freak things like the freeze plug issue....

I sure hope we can get someone to figure out these things and possible build a better injector that can handle this pressure for longer periods....

Subscribed!!

CR Hater...
Just kidding, I have seen some pretty crappy things going on with CR trucks with moderate power also. Just finishing a complete rebuild for a 450hp truck that tows cross country. I think it may be a maintenance thing that killed him, but its kinda hard to say.
Hey I did 831 on stock bolts and gasket..that ain't too shabby.

Ive heard some freak things going on with some moderate power levels but I love mine and its been super reliable and makes good power and I can tow anything with it. I mean Ive had 12 valves and 24 valves have tons of problems to Its just part of the territory I think

When my brothers 04.5 injectors were failing, I could feel the difference in the truck immediately & told him to stop running it. He didn't believe me because he got used to it getting worse gradually. The truck felt like a dog & smoked like a train. I think this is one of the issues that get overlooked.

I think that all things being equal the cr engines are just as reliable as any other cummins 5.9 engine. It isnt the Common Rail part that is the problem, more often then not it is the loose nut behind the wheel... (not allways I know)

IMO, it's just the opposite. CR's will end up making diesel motorsports. The older trucks are great but, they're starting to hit a wall that the CR can over come..... fueling being the main thing

When my brothers 04.5 injectors were failing, I could feel the difference in the truck immediately & told him to stop running it. He didn't believe me because he got used to it getting worse gradually. The truck felt like a dog & smoked like a train. I think this is one of the issues that get overlooked.

I've noticed that too with my new-er bodies... less smoke, runs great.. still wondering why I'm low on over all rail pressure... but still working on it.

i think the common rails with the adjustability of timing is what is going to make the bigger power in years to come.they will get the fuel soon enough. and i am a die hard 12v guy. mike

the only way they're going to ruin it is because every frat douche on earth can spend 10 minutes loading up a smoke monster tune and go blowing smoke everywhere

Shoulda seen the douche's at the dyno last weekend. Mike was there. It's scary. What's even scarier is that these 16yr old kids are going from 300hp to 600hp and have no respect for the power.

The main thing IMO is that we need an injection map that gets rid of the post "main" injections. From what I have seen it's that last injection event on the power stroke that causes all the problems of melting pistons on hopped up CRs. Besides that's just an emissions injection event anyway, no need to have it in performance CRs. $.02

Joe

well, with EFI Live entering the fray and other stand-alone options, it looks like we may be going back to one or two injection events :)

they're starting to hit a wall that the CR can over come..... fueling being the main thing
Show me a CR that moves more fuel than even a built 13mm pump and we will talk...

Show me a CR that moves more fuel than even a built 13mm pump and we will talk...

I don't know if they can flow equal amount BUT they CAN flow enough to make as much power. ;) There is a difference. :D Due to the pressures at hand/atomization, they don't have to flow the volume (though they DO still have to flow a great deal also) of a mech. pump to make the same power. So, while the mech. may out flow a CR inj. pump, the CR inj. pump(s) can flow enough at a given pressure to make equivalent power. :bow: That is until you factor in billet mech. pumps. Then it might be a diff. story. Although, there's a few mod trucks that are gonna be CR in the next year or two. :rockwoot: We'll see if they can keep up. :pop:

C-ya

Back