Are CR's prone to breaking rings

9e7u5ehu.jpg

That's just downright ugly right there!!!
That's beautiful compared to what I have had to deal with.
Wait until you see a CR that melts the piston down the side and puts gouges in the cylinder clear through to the water jacket.

I have pic somewhere of a 12 valve that did very similar, as well, but the block survived the whole ordeal.

Mark.

Gives me chills just thinking about the rebuild cost!!!!
It's not as bad as you might think, especially if you have the knowledge and the NADS to just dive in.
I just rented a place to do my own mechanical work and I'm wanting to go through CRs and make them live again.
It's not like I'm clueless and I have a bunch of them to piece together, 5.9s, as well as 6.7s.

Might as well build something for myself, for once.:snoop:

Mark.

There's a lot of money in parts and if I grenade it I sure ain't gonna put stock junk back in. I'm actually planning on getting a fully built 6.7l crate engine from cpp for back up. Take a loan against my 401 k lol

There's a lot of money in parts and if I grenade it I sure ain't gonna put stock junk back in. I'm actually planning on getting a fully built 6.7l crate engine from cpp for back up. Take a loan against my 401 k lol

^dumb :badidea:
You pay a fee to take money out, gets taxed when you take it out, have to repay it with interest (the interest does go to your account which is good) with taxed income you've earned, and then still have to pay taxes on it when you take it out at the end.
Just my 2cents. Get a Roth IRA so you can do stuff like that.

Alright, back to trucks!

Dumb question. These things get spun faster then all the past configurations. Spose it could be a Ring ridge/ rpm factor? We've always wondered that with some industrial stuff that got spun up and then had ring problems (you'd think there'd be valve float but I've seen some without???). Just a stab in the dark.

So was doing some cleaning on the 3 cr engines I have tore down and noticed 3 holes drilled in the under side of the Pistons and what seems to be a channel casted into the piston that goes around the bowl right at the bottom edge of the top ring. Now I would venture to say this is for cooling but I have to wonder if the lack of material there do to the channel inside the piston could possibly be leading to these stuck and broke rings. These are all 04.5-07 engines. Do the 03-04 have these same holes and channel? Did they do away with them in the 6.7. I know the 12v and vp 24v don't have them.

Yes, the 03-04s also have the passages on the bottom of the piston. The j-jets are supposed to shoot oil into the single hole side. Can't comment on whether the 6.7s have them, never had one apart.

The 6.7s do in fact have the same passages.
Just pulled one down today to core out and it had melted the holy hell out of the top of the piston.
It was breathing through that hole into the crankcase, as well as out the side of the piston, where the ring used to be.

That bad side was offset by the fact that this core had a set of ARP 2000 head studs in it. :D

Mark.

Back