are stock 12v injection lines stainless steel?

jaybuller

USCG MK
i pulled mine off to do the headstud retorque and i hit them with a wire wheel to clean them up to repaint and they looked like stainless so it through the mothers ball on em and they shined up like stainless. look good right now have been lookin good for a few days now with no sighns of rust forming or anything. so just wondering are they stainless or somthin else? Thank you to whoever answers this for me. Thanks.

hahah thanks, they look so good and shiney! mabey i should throw on a coat of clear engine enamel to lock in the good looks? any sugjestions on how to keep em lookin good? mabey get them dipped in nickel or chrome?

100_3959.jpg

figured id take a pic before theyr all rusted out.

Clear coating (or any paint for that matter) is has a mechanical bond to the surface it is sprayed on. Not an adhesive bond. If you polish something, it is slick, no scratches, no pits, nothing for the pain to adhere too.

(that is the laymen version ^^)

Clear coating (or any paint for that matter) is has a mechanical bond to the surface it is sprayed on. Not an adhesive bond. If you polish something, it is slick, no scratches, no pits, nothing for the pain to adhere too.

(that is the laymen version ^^)

my lines look like they are plated zinc yellow or something. is that the factory plating?

my lines look like they are plated zinc yellow or something. is that the factory plating?

Yes, if the original black paint has flaked off the yellow zinc is below. If you "polish" then it removes the zinc plating and it will rust.

well in that case, i would send them off to get plated zinc clear if you wanted the polished look to last.

Mine have been polished for the last 8 years ,, No rust yet ,, they clean up real nice !

If you will just use a aircraft paint remover and a water hose they will come clean as new and not rust. Buff them or remove the top layer of zinc and they will rust. At least this is what Ive found, I cleaned mine like that 3-4 years ago and they stayed just as clean and not a spot of rust anywhere. Ryan

Back