Are the 6.4 really that bad?

blackcloudCTD95

What are some of yalls horror stories on the 6.4 I see there price is starting to come down.. while the 6.0 and 7.3 are going up.. Ive so far done heads, couple of pumps, a motor. and all these trucks were under 100k one truck had a tune and the rest were stock. Im under the impression these are worse off then the 6.0 stock for stock.

Better than the 6.0L, worse than the 7.3L....

That is the opinion I've formed without owning a 6.4L or 6.0L while watching my friends work on both....6.0L has more issues.

Chris

Better than the 6.0 for sure.. but I don't know anyone with a tuned engine that lived past 100k.. I popped mine at 101k. My buddy dropped a valve at 93k and he's at 150k now and just put a hole in his piston.

Go ask over on powerstrokearmy.com They love there 6.4's. Maybe they can better answer your question. All I know if I'm at 150k on my truck and I will unload it before 200k when my extended warranty expires

Better than the 6.0L, worse than the 7.3L....

That is the opinion I've formed without owning a 6.4L or 6.0L while watching my friends work on both....6.0L has more issues.

Chris

6.4s are nightmares to work on lol.. the reason i ask ... I think... I ... kinda want one..... LOL I dont know why.. may-b Im getting old and want a quieter truck. ( i cant drive a chevy... ) ( dodge... ehhh.... it better be a manual I dont want to deal with trannys)
i havent had any issue with my 6.0 NONE.. egr delete and studs .. sct I havent had a lick of issues.. in 40.000 miles the one thing that scares me is the cavitation issues in the timing cover.

Last edited:
Mine has 55k with big tunes. No issue. Love the truck, gonna get an extended warranty for it I believe.

Im under the impression these are worse off then the 6.0 stock for stock.

No, they are actually the best engines International ever made.
They are the only one I'd consider if I wanted to buy a Ford.

The 7.3 is a bucket of nails, it makes a lot more noise than power.
The 6.0 is a good engine if you delete the EGR system.
Ford's 6.7 is junk all-round.

Last edited:
I think they are good engines. Wife just sold her 08 with 177,xxx on it. Running the spartan 310 tune and towing heavy alot.

IMO the horror stories SOMETIMES come from people who don't listen when people tell them things to avoid or know the 6.4 can make big power and just ramp things up without the proper supporting mods like studs, trans, fuel, etc. I loved my '08 and wish I'd never sold it because it had power with just an exhaust and SCT canned tune plus it was quiet and rode like a dream for a lifted truck.

I've had multiple 7.3s, a 6.0 and a 6.4 (and 2 Cummins and a 6.2 just to show non bias) and I'd buy any of the Fords again because I know what the common issues are and how to fix them. Do 6.4s have issues? Yes, but what motor dosen't? Some are just easir/cheaper to fix.

My $0.02 take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Pick and choose your battle is what it comes down to for me. Top end problems or bottom end problems.

Pick and choose your battle is what it comes down to for me. Top end problems or bottom end problems.

I know they all are **** buckets its depends on what you Want.. to fix . I know dodge electronics are a down fall ... Chevy can make a stout truck....so that leaves ford .. now I know as a mech a nic :hehe: I don't wanna deal with lower end issues .. I'd rather deal with upper end issues ..

So what does that leave the 6.4 after dog and coolers are deleted.? Bottom end issues ?

I have been looking at 6.4s. But I can't make my mind up. I need something that is going to last for a few years. I don't drive my trucks much since I have a work car. But I don't want to work on something every time I turn around.

I have been looking at 6.4s. But I can't make my mind up. I need something that is going to last for a few years. I don't drive my trucks much since I have a work car. But I don't want to work on something every time I turn around.

LOL same here I wanna hook my boat up and drive to the keys knowing i wont get stuck in some BFE town...... I can do that with my 6.0 but get chit for fuel mileage.

new question how are the 6.4 tuned up? studs egr delete..? dpf delete are they bullet proof?

Nothing is bullet proof....some people can tear anything up....

no offense intended, as I don;t know how you drive....but anything breaks...
Chris

Nothing is bullet proof....some people can tear anything up....

no offense intended, as I don;t know how you drive....but anything breaks...
Chris

not like grandma... not like a jack wagon..LOL I average 13mpg... with tune inj and turbo.

somethings break more then others my old cummins was a daily driver and was making 550+ and that thing was RAGGGEDD OUTT!! the only thing I kept replacing was vlave cover gaskets. because I didnt gring the webbing out of the valve cover good enough so they kept leaking I sold it to my brother and now hes dealing with IT..LOL

uncles have them for hot shotting and hay baling..

towing SOBs... but horrible fuel mileage, and live in the shop for constant maintainance... but when they work... they are darn good at towing..

one is stock, and one is on an edge, surprise surprise. stock one has less issues

EGR delete, DPF delete and good tunes along with religiously changing fuel filters and they will last forever. I have seen some with lifter issues like the 6.0 but I think that is lack of service, If you dont keep up on that they can become a money pit very quickly. I have 3 and love them, all three had junk motors when I bought them but thats beside the point. LOL

Ford's 6.7 is junk all-round.

Why you say that?

So what does that leave the 6.4 after dog and coolers are deleted.? Bottom end issues ?

1300hp on stock internals, and holding up (as far as I know); I don't think they are a weak point.

From my admittedly limited experience with stock 6.4s, they are in the shop almost as much as 6.0s were (large oil company, LOTS of trucks and the light duty shop was always full). Deleted I think they are better, but as miles wrack up, seems more things pop up. Still the only Ford diesel I'd buy is a 6.4, unless I got a HELL of a deal on a copper 6.7

I wouldn't drive bone stock 6.4. but once tuned and deleted theyre a really good truck. I put 30k miles on my 6.4 the first year I owned it, puling all over the country. Truck has a dpf delete and innovative tunes. Gets 17 empty and 15 pulling my 10k pound trailer. Only thing I've ever done to it is regular
maintenance.

absolutely love mine... no desire to own a dodge anymore

never had any desire to own a ford prior to the 6.4

I'm looking to add another to the stable

Back