ARP 625s pulled threads

RILES

F**k your 10%
Anybody ever pull the threads out of the nuts on a retorque? (160lbft)

Nope. I pull mine down to 165 and i retorque hot to 165 as well.

Somehow I knew it was just me, thats just the way things go sometimes, at least the old wore out motor with the schiesskopf reground cam is gone and the new package is almost ready to go play. :rockwoot:

I had it almost happen, threads galled up real bad and I had to get them replaced. ARP gave me some of their "new" formulated lube and that has seemed to solve the issue. Since the new studs and lube the retorques have been flawless. :)

Joe

I had it almost happen, threads galled up real bad and I had to get them replaced. ARP gave me some of their "new" formulated lube and that has seemed to solve the issue. Since the new studs and lube the retorques have been flawless. :)

Joe

Thanks for the info, I'm waiting on a call back from Justin at ARP, I'll ask him about the new formula lube, I wasn't aware of it, thanks again

dzlfarmboy and myself are the only ones around here that can break an anvil with a rawhide mallet? :doh:

I like to thicken the mixture on the moly lube by squirting some arp lube on a paper plate and mixing about a tbsp of moly powder with it. Jeremy told me you'd screw it up eventually.

I like to thicken the mixture on the moly lube by squirting some arp lube on a paper plate and mixing about a tbsp of moly powder with it. Jeremy told me you'd screw it up eventually.

I think the arp moly lube and a tbsp of moly powder beats the hell out of THAT OTHER SHOP's procedure of Astro Glide and a Ruffie, nothing like going in for a head gasket job and walking out with a sore ass and chapped lips :hehe:

I have moly powder here at the shop. If you need some let me know and I'll ship it up.

:hehe:
Sorry I didn't laugh earlier. I had no idea what AstroGlide or a Ruffie was. I had to go to google and come back.(yep, I'm old)

I'll put my asbestos garments on here and ask why retorque ARP 625 studs. I was told by ARP to cycle the studs (apply and release torque 3 times back to back) and then leave them alone. What source says to do it differently?

I'll put my asbestos garments on here and ask why retorque ARP 625 studs. I was told by ARP to cycle the studs (apply and release torque 3 times back to back) and then leave them alone. What source says to do it differently?

because the headgasket settels more after heat cycles, set your valves, and go back and they will be tighter, it's just the gasket settling more, it will eventually stop settling, but this is the main reason why everyone does retorques.

I have moly powder here at the shop. If you need some let me know and I'll ship it up.

:hehe:
Sorry I didn't laugh earlier. I had no idea what AstroGlide or a Ruffie was. I had to go to google and come back.(yep, I'm old)
Thank you Ron but with time being an issue, I'm going to give it hell again Friday with standard ARP moly lube and some new hardware
because the headgasket settels more after heat cycles, set your valves, and go back and they will be tighter, it's just the gasket settling more, it will eventually stop settling, but this is the main reason why everyone does retorques.

X2, the last time I did mine, I pulled them to 155 lbft and let them sit overnight, released them and retorqued them to 155 lbft and let them sit overnight, released them and retorqued them to 155 lbft and still got between 1/2 and 3/4 turn on all of them after some heat cycles

I think the arp moly lube and a tbsp of moly powder beats the hell out of THAT OTHER SHOP's procedure of Astro Glide and a Ruffie, nothing like going in for a head gasket job and walking out with a sore ass and chapped lips :hehe:

At least you saved 10%.:hehe:

I don't know if he saved 10%, it is my motor in Riles rig and I have been accused of acting like Mr. 10%.

Nobody has ever called you Das Fuhrer so if I were you I wouldn't volunteer to be in that club :evil

I've never heard of torquing them and then releaseing them and then retorquing them. Why would you do that and what's the benefits?

I've never heard of torquing them and then releaseing them and then retorquing them. Why would you do that and what's the benefits?

The way I understand it, its about "seasoning" the stud or breaking it in so to speak, doesn't need to be done everytime, just the first time out of the box.
Thats the word from ARP, on a side note, they also suggest only torquing them to 150 lbft max.

Back