arp L19 rod bolts?

cummins0488

Are these usually a direct replacemant for stock rod bolts or is machine work to rods usually needed for these to work? Thanks ahead for any info on this.

If they are anything like the ones from haisley they will be direct replacement

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Machine shop telling me that it might throw it out of round. Im not trying to mess with all that if that's true. I figured it would just be a direct replacement thing. Wondering if anyone else has ran into those issues before

Machine shop telling me that it might throw it out of round. Im not trying to mess with all that if that's true. I figured it would just be a direct replacement thing. Wondering if anyone else has ran into those issues before

There is no way bolts could make a rod out of round, if they are over torqued it could possibly happen. But simply changing a fastener will not make a rod out of round.

Should be a direct replacement with no issues. Also a good idea to wear gloves when installing them to avoid skin contact

There is no way bolts could make a rod out of round, if they are over torqued it could possibly happen. But simply changing a fastener will not make a rod out of round.

Thats what I was thinking but I wasnt gonna argue over the phone. But seems to me if this was true you would read alot more about it and I cant find anything where people have had this problems.

They also said they would have to use oversize bearings for them. Just doesnt make sense.

They do weigh 11-12 grams per pair more than stock rod bolts. So, it's not a bad idea to re-balance. Just depends on rpms and how picky you are.

LOL I wish this was the case but I have a crank that disagree's with you. Arp L19 bolts call ~90ft lbs IIRC put 3 of my stock rods between .003-.004 out of round. The same rod at stock TQ spec was around .001, I didn't believe until i ran the gauge myself.

LOL I wish this was the case but I have a crank that disagree's with you. Arp L19 bolts call ~90ft lbs IIRC put 3 of my stock rods between .003-.004 out of round. The same rod at stock TQ spec was around .001, I didn't believe until i ran the gauge myself.

Ok now that u posted this u need to explain why, if I replace a grade 5 bolt in my frame with a grade 8 at the same torque the frame will bend?

Ok now that u posted this u need to explain why, if I replace a grade 5 bolt in my frame with a grade 8 at the same torque the frame will bend?

Maybe re read my first post because, your point is invalid, the L19 has a greater torque spec than stock... The cummins stock rod bolt torque spec is ~73 ft lbs, the ARP L19 bolt recommend torque spec is ~90ft lbs. The set of rods I posted about had to reconditioned to make them true.... Does this happen on every set? Obviously not I've put many sets of ARP and A1 bolts in and not had a problem. BUT it can cause problems, now I have them checked every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I will agree with jake, the extra clamp load could cause distortion of the rod. Does it do it every time, probably not, but can it happen. Yes.

These were going to be used with a set of 12v rods. Dont know if that makes a difference or not. Is the extra time and machine work worth it for a 8-900 hp truck or just use stock bolts? I just wanted a little extra insurance if i could just throw them in there. I couldnt find any information really that stated any troubles with going to these bolts but now my head is spinning on the subject. Thanks for all replies

You could throw them in there but would just be sure to check the rod for out of round.

Back