ARP Lube Controversy: Ultra-Torque

Ultra is designed to be a zero-retorque lube... I'd rather polish the threads!

I know my head studs moved a little. Seems silly not to put an extra half hour into something for a retorque after you've dropped money for studs into it

Has anyone ever used Compound #2? It is a detroit diesel only spec lube. I am running A1 14mm studs, and I call them to ask them what they recommend and the tech explained to me that they only suggest the Compound #2. He said that the ARP lubes are good, but the have seen more consistant torque values with #2. It was the first that I have ever heard of it so I ordered a tub. He also said that Hendrick Motorsports only uses A1 studs and Compound #2. So what ever that is worth.

Just something that was new to me, I thought that I would pass it on,

Dustin

I just did head studs on mine with the ultra torque lube and after 600 miles the studs moved up to a 1/4 of a turn before the torque wrench clicked. So i would definetly re-check yours if any of you use it.

I just did head studs on mine with the ultra torque lube and after 600 miles the studs moved up to a 1/4 of a turn before the torque wrench clicked. So i would definetly re-check yours if any of you use it.

Did the 1/4 turn come from the studs stretch or the gasket compressing???

Did you loosen the nuts and relube them when you did this, or just put the wrench on and pull?

Did you loosen the nuts and relube them when you did this, or just put the wrench on and pull?
I just put the wrench on er and pulled as i was in a hurry and figured i wouldn't have to bother doing anything since they are supposed to be at the same torque number no matter what according to arp right?

Bringing up an old thread here.... But I have to say this ARP lube has me concerned. I just put ARPs in my 05 CR motor....that is now sitting in my super duty... OK 6 leaker jokes aside... That motor was run really hard and went 60k+ on a set of arp studs. That first install was with the old lube and on the Powerstroke 6l the original ARP torque value was 256 ft lbs !! Yea as you can imagine it was fun and when you were done...well you were definitely done! Anyway...ARP come out with this new lube (Ultra Torque) and in their info they say that the old lube required an average of 5 torque/brake/re-torques in order to get the same consistancy of the new lube. Ok I can buy that but they said this new lube was so effecient that they reduced the torque rating from 256 to 115 ft lbs. Needless to say after all new head work, a couple grand and 7k easy miles later the gaskets were compromised. Now the CR sits in it and hopefully will be running shortly.

So I am really concerned here that the 6l studs had a severe reduction in torque while you guys are saying we should be increasing the torque on the Cummins ARP studs. And quite frankly I look at that rating as the culprit of the recent gasket failure on the powerstroke due to fresh machining and a checked out deck.

I used the ARP 425s ( I Think that's what they were, the new name for the 2000's) and set them to 135 which is 10 over the 125 recommended by ARP, so when the re-torque comes should I be looking to hit the 165 mark on these 425's?

Bringing up an old thread here.... But I have to say this ARP lube has me concerned. I just put ARPs in my 05 CR motor....that is now sitting in my super duty... OK 6 leaker jokes aside... That motor was run really hard and went 60k+ on a set of arp studs. That first install was with the old lube and on the Powerstroke 6l the original ARP torque value was 256 ft lbs !! Yea as you can imagine it was fun and when you were done...well you were definitely done! Anyway...ARP come out with this new lube (Ultra Torque) and in their info they say that the old lube required an average of 5 torque/brake/re-torques in order to get the same consistancy of the new lube. Ok I can buy that but they said this new lube was so effecient that they reduced the torque rating from 256 to 115 ft lbs. Needless to say after all new head work, a couple grand and 7k easy miles later the gaskets were compromised. Now the CR sits in it and hopefully will be running shortly.

So I am really concerned here that the 6l studs had a severe reduction in torque while you guys are saying we should be increasing the torque on the Cummins ARP studs. And quite frankly I look at that rating as the culprit of the recent gasket failure on the powerstroke due to fresh machining and a checked out deck.

I used the ARP 425s ( I Think that's what they were, the new name for the 2000's) and set them to 135 which is 10 over the 125 recommended by ARP, so when the re-torque comes should I be looking to hit the 165 mark on these 425's?
at 165 those 425's will probably break. I took mine to 135 and during a warm retorque I had one that was a little spongy

115ft-lbs for 6.0 studs? That's not right at all. So goin by percentages, old arps and old lube at 125ft-lbs for a cummins is the same as the new lube at 56ft-lbs? Doesn't sound right does it?

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

ARP 6.0 studs

ARP's for the 6.0 get torqued to 210 ft. lbs with the new lube. Old value was 240-245.

I've installed A1 studs in my 12v, and ARP's in a duramax....... Both had ultra torque, and both came with little sheets with torquing instructions for Ultra Torque. I for one had no "notchy" experiences..... Seemed to pull smooth as butter..

I had to take the rocker towers off my 12V and when I put em back on, I didn't have any ultra torque, so I used a generous amount of that aluminum anti seize on the threads and washer and stuff. That's the real question, are you guys spreading ultra torque on both sides of the washer so as to make a "bearing" for the surface of the nut to slide on?

I originally was going to do Allen head bolts on my 12v. A friend of mine (BlackSkyRacing) has had some good results with using these on his 12v. He pulled his to 145 ftlbs using ARP lube. I bought the same bolts, but didn't have the ARP lube, so I used two hardened washers covered in aluminum antiseize, creating a sort of "bearing" and then antiseize on the threads. I broke off two bolts at 132 ftlbs (on a recently calibrated Snap on torque wrench). So if anything, I think the anti seize has less friction than ARP's lube.

Just my $.02 For what it's worth, I use the ARP lube if that's what the instructions call for.....

Back