AT545 performance

smokin binder

DT466 fan
I've emailed just about every performance trans shop I could find. All I could come up with is a converter from either BD Power, or Suncoast. I did find a guy called 1stgen 545 that actually made his own low stall, and manual valve body. That was a little promising seeing it on youtube. Went so far as one shop even told me to swap in a TH400 instead, because they already had performance parts for it. Can't say I remember seeing a turbo 400 with an SAE #3, but I never really looked.
That's about what I'm looking at with my Ford 6.6 swap. At least one shop said to try to fit an MT643 in. My idea is to get an AT1545, so I can have a lockup converter with the small package, then have someone make a low stall for it. I'm not so sure how much power it'll take after mods, and in a 4500 pound 67 F100. I was hoping for some better internals, like the low stall, Red Alto clutches, maybe an overhaul manual that shows what to adjust in the valve body. Any Allison gurus? My local shop just told me they only rebuild to stock. I'd much rather do everything myself....within reason.

I can't directly answer your question. I have little good to say about a 545 and they are not lockup.

Why not rid yourself of the SAE adapter and run something practical for a 1/2 ton truck?

That's why I wanted the 1545, because those are lockup. If I rid myself of the SAE #3, what could I possibly run? I wasnt too keen on the idea of running the tranny that the engine came with, which was an FS4205B. For daily driving/ weekend romping, the Allison makes sense. Do you know of any other adapters the Ford/New Hollands used?

well the at545 is used in everything from box trucks to school buses and they put them behind gas and diesel apps, so its a stout little tranny. the only problem is you need a run a parking brake cause the 545 dosent have park. the mt643 has lock-up, and is overkill for what your tring to do i think and they run a SAE 2 bell hsg. now you can get an MT40, which came before the 545 and 643, in a SAE 3 bell hsg. and as for the man v.b on the 545 that is just a matter of putting some really stiff springs in the shift valves to keep it from shifting. but im not sure about your converter. i will talk to some guys at work tomm and see if i cant find some info for ya.

Yes, the plentiful supply helps me find one for dirt cheap. Thanks for looking, and helping. Maybe I'll do my own R&D, just like I'll have to do with the funky MW-injector pump

just get a dodge setup and a 47rh if you don't want to r&d an allison; it'd probably be cheaper to find a ford adapter & run your choice of ford autos.
as far as wierd injection pumps go, call Mike at AFI in modesto and he can fix you up with whateveryou need, he's knowledgeable and likes "different" projects.
good luck, ed

The only auto they put behind this engine is an allison. Not sure if it's worth all the thousands of dollars to get a place to build me adaptors to fit a Dodge or Ford pickup trans. By far, it's cheaper to get the 545, and live with it. I don't have any sponsors.
lol...you know, I've actually talked with a couple guys at AFI last year. Very insightful guys there! They actually helped me decide on keeping the MW, instead of just slapping on a P-pump.
Here's a representing photo:

Attachments

• 401pumpside.jpg
    401pumpside.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes, the plentiful supply helps me find one for dirt cheap. Thanks for looking, and helping. Maybe I'll do my own R&D, just like I'll have to do with the funky MW-injector pump

Why is that funky? Talk to a pump shop, they are adjustable just like any other pump;)

Chris

Only funky, because it's not like what most 12V guys are used to seeing....let alone the engine itself. A little trickier dialing in the smoke control, but I've done these pumps enuf times to get it pretty reasonable.

Only funky, because it's not like what most 12V guys are used to seeing....let alone the engine itself. A little trickier dialing in the smoke control, but I've done these pumps enuf times to get it pretty reasonable.

Ah...I work on tractors and combines at work...I'm used to the MW stuff. Still pretty easy!

Chris

Then, it's on to the gov springs. Going to see what'll get it to around 3800, since those springs are a little smaller than a P-pump's.

Two reasons to get rid of the SAE/545- It's huge and it's huge.

I would machine an adapter/flexplate/flywheel to run whichever tranny you chose. I would lean towards 47RH. No more SAE adapter means much more firewall and downpipe room.

I am curious on those MW pumps too. They look like the front part of a p pump but the back part where all the adjustments are looks like an A pump. If you can swap in DV's from a p pump that would be nice. And there is no need for a feul plate just a screw driver. IDK if A pump springs are the same. If they are you can get plenty of stuff for those from a pump shop that does tractor pulling pumps. Is there any hinderances in running an MW pump verse a P pump?

The MW fuels pretty hard at low rpm/booost. They usually only come with 10mm P&B's, so big performance is limited, unless as you suggest(I've been meaning to ask my shop) adding 12mm setup from a P-pump. Next week when I pick up my 6.6, I'm going to be getting it running in the garage, and play around inside the pump. They are very similar to a P-pump, in many ways. It's hard to get any answers about them anywhere. I'll do my own R&D, specific to street driving. Then, hopefully come up with a good combo for a 300hp (84-92)DT466.

The 545 is not a lot larger than the th400 got one of each setting upstairs in my garage now I had a MT40 in my truck with the perkins in it hit would shift sohard tires would bark every time it shifted after 2 months the rear leaf springs were all broke from the shock the MT40 weight is almost 400lb I took it out and put in a RTO6610 eaton.the MW pump on my 6.0 Perkins used 4000gvs from a P7100 with out a problem.have been running 5them for almost 100.000miles.it flow 475cc good enough for towing.with 330hp marine injectors.

Dale

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the info Dale. Last I opened up the Gov springs on an MW, they just looked about an 1/8" smaller in diameter. I didnt have a GSK to try in it. When I get my 401 Ford, I'll get to experiment in all kinds of ways.

Back