Auto to ag gov gains?

DrThunder1126

Has anyone went from an auto gov to an ag gov and noticed any gains with out changing anything else? Just curious if it's worth changing the gov and changing the throttle linkage hook up.

I will find out friday pump went down to DPE for seth to put a ag gov on and thats the only change we are making have been running all summer with the truck gov.I think it will solve are defueling problem will see friday

did it on mine and made a world of difference. On the dyno with 5k kit truck would start to fall of at 2500rpm. Showed up the same on the track. Talked to Harts Diesel in MO and changed it out. Never looked back since. Truck runs alot better on the track but it has a tendency to over fuel outta the hole a bit.

did it on mine and made a world of difference. On the dyno with 5k kit truck would start to fall of at 2500rpm. Showed up the same on the track. Talked to Harts Diesel in MO and changed it out. Never looked back since. Truck runs alot better on the track but it has a tendency to over fuel outta the hole a bit.

Who did your first pump? Sounds like maybe you finally got a real pump. I know my dot gov pump will fuel hard past 4500:

subscribed. I'm a touch worried about the ag gov pump "running away" on me, and with the right springs, cant the auto fuel up to 5-5500 if setup correctly? Pardon my ignorance.

subscribed. I'm a touch worried about the ag gov pump "running away" on me, and with the right springs, cant the auto fuel up to 5-5500 if setup correctly? Pardon my ignorance.

Yes mine starts to defuel over 5500

Went to ag gov pump seen way more rpms loaded a well build pump also has a lot to do with it

Jeremy you are not runnin an ag gov? Lol i almost got you at harrisonburg i was only like 16ft back haha

Jeremy you are not runnin an ag gov? Lol i almost got you at harrisonburg i was only like 16ft back haha

Nope i still have an auto gov. I had a really bad run. I changed something and the truck went backwards and i dont know why. You on the other hand had a really good run:clap:

wondering the same thing....so with the ag gov it allows you to still be fueling above 5500? i leave the line with my 13mm auto gov at 5300 and its still fueling hard.

Who did your first pump? Sounds like maybe you finally got a real pump. I know my dot gov pump will fuel hard past 4500:

Lets just say a local shop that didnt know there a$$ from a hole in the ground. Harts told me they could set up the auto gov to fuel the same way but it would take alot more set up time=$$$. And none of our current rules keep me from running the ag so i went that route. Happy with it so far

wondering the same thing....so with the ag gov it allows you to still be fueling above 5500? i leave the line with my 13mm auto gov at 5300 and its still fueling hard.

From what I remember an ag governor doesnt defuel as easily on the top end. I know my buddy kyle has ran an auto governor and never had an issue getting it to full fuel over 5500.

all im hearing is a good sales pitch..... you can get an auto gov set up to run and fuel just as hard and as many rpms as a ag gov pump. it all depends on how you set up the gov itself. and btw...every pump - auto or ag pump will lose fuel the more rpm you turn. the defueling all comes from how your gov is set up.

Nope i still have an auto gov. I had a really bad run. I changed something and the truck went backwards and i dont know why. You on the other hand had a really good run:clap:
Both of yall did well. That is one extremely clean Ford btw. I'm not sure if either of you watched the street classes or not but it's more or less a Duramax show other than the Dodge winning the modified street haha. I'm down in Bridgewater and it's mostly Duramax's running around here. I can't say for sure, but I think most of the p-pumped trucks that ran in those classes sounded like they were defueling around 3k or so.

Last edited:
all im hearing is a good sales pitch..... you can get an auto gov set up to run and fuel just as hard and as many rpms as a ag gov pump. it all depends on how you set up the gov itself. and btw...every pump - auto or ag pump will lose fuel the more rpm you turn. the defueling all comes from how your gov is set up.

That is more opinion than fact.

The RSV governor is much more responsive at higher rpm (if you have to let out of the throttle going down the track, you can regain full fueling almost immediately, where the RQV will have a 1-2 second lag time).

Also, any defueling that occurs either comes from a poor cam design, poor springs, or a poorly set up governor. We have an RSV governor pump use on a 1.9L VW turning north of 10k rpm. The only way to make an RQV governor turn that much is to use steel tubing instead of springs (bad idea).

I will fully agree that as rpm increases fueling decreases, because fill time decrease, but with the proper set-up it can be overcome for the most part.

Not trying to pick a fight, just stating some of what I've seen. :Cheer:

Back