Autometer probe distance????

cumminstroked

I just installed a new probe for my "6,000 rpm diesel tach with the recall feature". In the instructions it says to set it .030-.050" away from the damper. I called the tech support the other day and was told "We are having really good readings right around .100". I started with mine at .030" and I have been moving it out about .010" at a time. I'm all the way out to .090" of an inch and needle still flutters on the tach. It doesn't matter what rpm it'll just flutter about 300-500 rpms either way. It reads off a fluidamper and I put 2 extra grooves in and I went over the original grooves as well. The grooves are 1/4"x1/4" all four equally spaced and equal in size. I'm wondering what has been working for some of you others using this tach setup. Any input would be great.
Thanks,
James

Anybody? Anything? I backed it all the way to .100" and now it seems like it is having a hard time reading it. Before it was at .093" and it still flutterred a little. Maybe its just that picky

I had the same problem. Make a bracket and use the 4 bolts off the balancer. Works great and no bounce. Mines set about 1/8 away.

Seems like people have the best luck with reading off the bolts in the front. Though some say once you break 4000 rpm it has trouble reading it because of how close the bolts are

from phone

yeah I thought about that but when I heard that they don't read really well in the higher rpms it kinda pushed me away. I'm determined to get this one dialed in. I think I might put a little bigger groove in the damper and see what happens.

Mine off the crank bolts worked good to 5200 when I left the line. No bounce.

Heard they do better with peaks than valleys. Also that bolts tend to lose accuracy at high rpm. Regurgitated info.

Heard they do better with peaks than valleys. Also that bolts tend to lose accuracy at high rpm. Regurgitated info.

I have never heard that one. I took a little more out of my grooves and its set at .093" and it seems to be getting better. I'm really hoping to get the groove setup to work considering that I've already started down that road. With your peaks what is the distance you have set?

A friend of mine had his drilled and tapped for 4 small allen head bolts. Cant recall how long they were but the holes werent deep enough to reach the fluid. His tach worked awesome up to 6K+

Back