Axle shields

I drilled a hole in the center of the axle for a M8x1.25 bolt using a 17/64" drill bit. Still have to make the 4.5" plate to cover the bolts, but I will try and get some pics when it's done.

Joe

Could you fold some small metal in a channel shape and use the axle bolts to secure the shield?

I have center caps, if its legal thats what I will run with. I know that shields I seen normally have just one bolt in the center. I dont think you are allow to mount to any of the orig. axle bolts. Now that I been looking at alot of pics of trucks with them, most have rockwell axles that have the shields. Now I just need a transmission blanket, only found one brand for the 47RH. And thats $450

Has anyone actually had or seen the axle bolts break or "shoot" off?

Yes John I have seen it happen.

Just that it wasn't pulling and all of the bolts were not in. Whoops! They did go shooting off though.

Yeah I would think that the bolt that holds the sheild on would fall out before the axle bolts fall out.

Got some pics finally for ya

I made a 4.5" diameter piece of 3/8" aluminum and used a M8 x 1.25 x 35 allen head bolt. I drilled and tapped the axle about 5/8" deep.

Joe

Attachments

• AxleBoltCover.jpg
    AxleBoltCover.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 35
  • AxleBoltCover1.jpg
    AxleBoltCover1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
Back