Bad running C/R issues.....need help!

Jim Fulmer

Got a bud that needs help and he is waiting on Comp D for approval to post, here is his issue.

Jim

2005 dodges 2500, smarty JR running economy, turbo back exhaust other than that it is stock!

Drove from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth TX on Saturday (about 200 or so miles) no issues along the way. Filled up the gas when we arrived in Fort worth (did not shut truck off). When we got to the hotel looking back I think I heard the knocking at or just above idle and thought nothing of it.

Woke the next morning to drive off and the truck took an extensive amount of time to crank her up and when she did start large plume of smoke came out and had a very rough idle. Once warm seemed to be better at lower speeds/RPMs and seemed just fine at higher speeds/RPMs. Milked the truck home at lower than usual speeds (65 mph) with no issues. Upon arrival shut down and restarted and it took a long time to crank her up again.

Spoke with a buddy and he through the bad injector thing out and I figured I would take care of it this week. Well tonight after sitting for over 24 hours I cranked it up and it again took a long time to start and once she did there was no response to the throttle at all with a very terrible, almost cutting off, idle. Needless to say she is not going anywhere.

Did some reading on here and read about the wire by the AC compressor and mine is just fine. No water in the fuel and I changed the filter in Fort worth when I initially had the problem. Are there any checks I can do before taking it into the shop?

unplug the FCA once and see if idle changes. I would lean towards a bad CP3.

Thanks, he's looking at the posts and trying to figure it out, problem is I'm not too much help.....I'm C/R dumb!

Jim

Got a bud that needs help and he is waiting on Comp D for approval to post, here is his issue.

Jim

2005 dodges 2500, smarty JR running economy, turbo back exhaust other than that it is stock!

Drove from Oklahoma City to Fort Worth TX on Saturday (about 200 or so miles) no issues along the way. Filled up the gas when we arrived in Fort worth (did not shut truck off). When we got to the hotel looking back I think I heard the knocking at or just above idle and thought nothing of it.

Woke the next morning to drive off and the truck took an extensive amount of time to crank her up and when she did start large plume of smoke came out and had a very rough idle. Once warm seemed to be better at lower speeds/RPMs and seemed just fine at higher speeds/RPMs. Milked the truck home at lower than usual speeds (65 mph) with no issues. Upon arrival shut down and restarted and it took a long time to crank her up again.

Spoke with a buddy and he through the bad injector thing out and I figured I would take care of it this week. Well tonight after sitting for over 24 hours I cranked it up and it again took a long time to start and once she did there was no response to the throttle at all with a very terrible, almost cutting off, idle. Needless to say she is not going anywhere.

Did some reading on here and read about the wire by the AC compressor and mine is just fine. No water in the fuel and I changed the filter in Fort worth when I initially had the problem. Are there any checks I can do before taking it into the shop?

He filled it up with gas!

CP-3 then Injectors then PRV Got a rail guage on it? I'm leaning towards injectors then CP-3

Jim

just a thought lol

Think he just said that and didn't mean it literally, he told me yesterday that the fuel he drained out of the filter had a little bit of a gas smell to it, not completely gas but like their tank was contaminated, he drove it back from FT Worth to OKC without any issues.

What do you guys think, my thinking is drain the tank, add fresh diesel and some 2 cycle oil and drive it.

Jim

Usually if some one says they filled up on gas instead of saying fuel or diesel they probably forgot and put some high grade octane in it.

We see a lot of this in our area. The first clue is his last fueling. That's the first question I ask people. We install 1 gallon of oil and 2 berrymans cetain booster before new diesel is installed. Have had great success.

Back