Balanced rotating assembly vs fluidampr

Hee-haw 4

DIRT POOR !!!!
Is a fluidampr necessary if you have the rotating assembly balanced ... I would think that it is still needed , but thought i would ask before i bought one ..

It doesn't balance anything. It is a damper designed to obsorb the shock of the explosions inside the cylinders. If I was building a 4000+ rpm Cummins I would have it balanced AND have a Fluidampr. For street use, max 3000 rpm, a Fluidampr is sufficient, IMO.

It doesn't balance anything. It is a damper designed to obsorb the shock of the explosions inside the cylinders. If I was building a 4000+ rpm Cummins I would have it balanced AND have a Fluidampr. For street use, max 3000 rpm, a Fluidampr is sufficient, IMO.

It doesn't balance anything on these engines, not all.

Just clarifying that a balancer does in fact sometimes balance the engine. Carry on with your bad self.

Just clarifying that a balancer does in fact sometimes balance the engine. Carry on with your bad self.

And just what type engines would that be? The engines that I have built and had the rotating assy balanced included metal being remover from the "balancer". Then again, I'm sure I can't compete with you in the "bad" catagory.:hehe:

Oh please. Let me Google it for you! HowStuffWorks

Summit Racing Street Bracket Racer SFI Harmonic Dampers SUM-C4265 - SummitRacing.com

Harmonic Balancer

Harmonic Balancers from 1A Auto:

1A Auto now carries aftermarket, stock replacement harmonic balancers. This is the vibration damper that is found on the front of your engine, bolted to the crankshaft. In many cases, the crank pulley is bolted onto it. It is meant to dampen the vibrations caused by the rotating internal parts of the engine. A damaged balancer can cause rough engine vibrations or the potential for the crankshaft pulley to throw the serpentine belt off its track. Replacing the harmonic balancer on your vehicle is great preventative maintenance for any vehicle!

Last edited:
1. What does that prove? A damper is needed to dissipate harmful resonant frequencies. It can be of two types, neutral balance or weighted to be used as part of the balance for an externally balanced engine.

2. It's lmgtfy.com. Learn how to use it.

1. What does that prove? A damper is needed to dissipate harmful resonant frequencies. It can be of two types, neutral balance or weighted to be used as part of the balance for an externally balanced engine.

2. It's lmgtfy.com. Learn how to use it.

In other words, you don't know which balancers actually balance an engine?

Its not a balancer its a dampner it lessens harmonics in the engine to cut down on vibrations. Some have external weights for non balanced internals

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Correct, it's purpose is to absorb and dissipate vibrations. In some engines it is part of a balanced rotating assembly. If you don't think it can be used in that fashion to balance an engine, you are more than welcome to put a neutral balanced damper on an engine that previously had a weighted one.

I'd choice not to balance anything and just give it hell. Seems to make perfect sense

Back