Balancing questions.

wildmanben

Farmboy...
Taking the engine out of my sled puller here soon and thinking about getting the bottom end balanced. Is it worth the hassle or just save the $$$ for new pistons/complete build? Also would you shave any material off the top of the stock pistons to bring compression down any or let it be?

Also wondering about rings and bearings. Rings I could stand to be replaced I thinks. Have to pull apart and find out for sure. Heard that bearings rarely go out. Will have to plastigauge and see how they are worn. Any other thoughts while I am there?

I would line bore the cam journals for bushings, just so you could put a billet in when you want, unless the pistons need flycut.

Definately cheap insurance to get the bottom end balanced. It is for sure worth the money and hassle to have a balanced bottom end, especially for a high RPM puller. I would not touch the pistons unless they need fly-cutting for your new cam. Rings and bearings are also a good idea, definately new rod bearings for balancing and reliability purposes. I wish I had the money to go with the billet cam but I didn't have an extra $2100 for that upgrade not to mention pretty much no one out here in Cali will do a Cummins line bore on the cam journals. The Helix 2 was much cheaper and will work just fine for my needs.....:)

Joe

billet cam will be a ways down the road. Cummins the best place to get bearings I would imagine?

If you have the extra money than go ahead and balance the bottom end. I do know there are a hell of alot more unbalanced than balanced turning wild rpms. There are a ton of Compd members turning 4500+ unbalanced. I would buy different pistons (cummins marine) that have a low ring land to allow for deep valve reliefs and get the compression at about 15 to 1. This is going to be a puller so it will help with longevity. Spend the money to balance on a good pump and valve train and cam. Tim

On edit, go ahead and cut whatever piston you decied on so if you decied to change to a bigger cam, you wont have to pull the motor apart.

So is cutting stock pistons down a waste then? How much do the marine pistons run?

Back