Ball valve as a line lock... How stupid?

Begle1

I still have a column shifter that doesn't do anything,

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to run a linkage from the column to a ball valve mounted on or near the master cylinder.

Would that be functional? How inane on a scale from 1-10?

I still have a column shifter that doesn't do anything,

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to run a linkage from the column to a ball valve mounted on or near the master cylinder.

Would that be functional? How inane on a scale from 1-10?
A buddy of mine used a valve he got off a wrecker. Not sure if it is a ball valve but it did hold the pressure.

good god just buy a line lock. by the time you screw around with a ball valveyou could have been done with a line lock. it is a lot safer also

good god just buy a line lock. by the time you screw around with a ball valveyou could have been done with a line lock. it is a lot safer also

While I agree with just buying a line lock setup, I'm curious why you think a solenoid valve is a lot safer than a mechanical valve :confused:

pipe threads on ball valve , inverter flare on line lock . op didn't say what he was intending on using it for. parking brake, burn outs, dragracing?????

most line locks I've seen have pipe threads on them :confused:

AFCO sells a ball valve for brakes FWIW... it's just a high pressure stainless ball valve you can get at any oil field supply

On one of my older cars I used a Mico brand electric parking brake solenoid from a forklift. It was screwy in that it continued to hold pressure until an equal pressure was applied again. So I would press the button, pump the brakes, and release the button. Once I finished my burnout I would have to hit the brakes again to release. It worked nicely as a 4-wheel parking brake when I went skiing and parked on an icy lot.

I also tied in many years ago a stainless manual ball valve in the cab just killing the rear brakes on a SBC Datsan 240Z drag car I built. I mainly did it to kill the rear brakes for the burn out, but like mentioned I found if you pumped the brakes then closed it, it was a great parking brake as well on the trailer. Although I would never concider using one for a line lock application

Back