Battery questions!!

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
Well it looks like my batteries took a dump while my truck was sitting for 3 months...

It's been cranking slow ever since we got it running...I drove it Thursday and it cranked pretty good the two or three times I had it off...shut it down around 6 pm that day.......The temps got down to the mid 20's, so it was pretty cold.......Went out to crank it Friday morning and it would barely even move my FASS motor...Then it just shut down completely....When I open the door the mileage and a few dash lights keep cycling on and off and on and off....Its wierd....There may be something else wrong, but I dont' have anything else drawing power when its off....The cable's seem tight...

I've just never had a batter go quite that fast...over night!!

I dont' have a charger at my house so I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the batteries...These are the original ones from June 05 when I purchased it new..It's prob. time, huh??

Who sells the Optima batteries??? What stores??
Who sells them the cheapest???
Which color is the strongest??? Never done any research on them but several people have'm and they must be pretty good..
I saw two of the Blue topped Optima's in a truck the other day and it looked pretty good under the hood..

Any suggestions???

Last edited:
you know after a down time my 05 started doing the same thing.if i drove it daily fine,but let it sit a day or 2 and same exact thing. put new batts in a nd no problems yet...

my batteries are from June 0f 05 too and never had a single problem wit them.

I guess the down time is the key....

Anybody know if Pep Boys, Walmart, or any other majors retailers have these Optima's??

blue tops are marine, yellow is deep cycle, and red is Cranking! yellow and blue are made to be ran down and fully recharged, and red is made to hold a charge and used for frequent recharges! advance and autozone have optimas!

Interstate and CAT batteries are good also

I just had to replace my batteries also and I went with Sears DieHard Platimuns. They are relabeled Odysseys. Military grade, can be mounted in any position, and a four year FREE replacement warranty. 100 month prorated warranty. For the two batteries it was just shy of $404. They are a hair smaller than the stockers so I had to make new hold down clips but they work great, cranks fast no matter how long it has been sitting or the temp outside. My truck sits for weeks at a time and I have not had a problem with these yet.

Sam's Club is where I got my Optima Red Tops. Around $139 each.

For those with Optimas....How do they mount up in the stock positions?? Much trouble??? The Optima's seem smaller....

I saw a truck with two of the Blue tops!!! Can a Marine battery be used in a truck??? I wouldn't see why not!!

I know I being picky but the Blue would def. look better!!!

Swole I am running a single Red top in my 06 and have had no issues cold cranking. It will tend to get a little weak if it sets up for a long time (2-3 weeks) but thats the only problem I have seen. I bet you will be fine with whatever optima battery you go with.

I had a optima red top in my blazer and I probably only drive it once a week during the summer and less than that during the winter. The battery never held a charge very well. I finally got fed up with it and bought a new duralast battery for it. Not a big fan of the optima, do a search online and you will see people say the same thing.

I put in a single odyssey 2150 on the driver's side. It is slightly larger than the battery holder. I just cut the side out of the plastic tray and it fits perfect. 2150 cranking amps rocks at 20* or less. It starts with a bump!!

Big Swole I am not to far from you. Send me a message if you want to see my set up.

Swole I think the blue tops would work fine in your truck. Most marine batteries are deep cycle also.

I ran a marine in my 78 ramcharger intentionally. They will recharge themselves enough to start a gasser if drained and left. If I remember correctly they use a gel electrolyte or something. In the old days the off road and hunting guys used them all the time to help if stranded out in the woods.

THANKS for all the reply's fella's......Gonna try to leaving my beat today for an hour to go to Batteries Plus...We get a gov. contract price there...Maybe they hook me up with a deal!!!

I'll keep ya posted!!!

Back