Battery questions!!

I wouldn't ever buy the Optimas again.. I've had lots of troubles with mine.. I just bought them in the first place because they looked neat. I used one stock battery for a long time, and it worked great. I then switched to a single yellow.. It wouldn't start the truck well, and would eventually just not start it.. I went back and bought the red.. Same thing occured with two of those.. I'm back to normal "ugly" batteries..

Oh well Morse.....Got your post late..

I just got back from Batteries Plus.......Bought two of the Blue Top Marine 34M Starting batteries....$150each......Not too bad but I thought it would be cheaper with a Gov. contract price!! I think the dude knew they were for me...lol

Oh well, Install tonight and hope it fixes my prob.......

optima003.jpg

optima002.jpg

optima004.jpg

the yellow tops fit good with the included adapter. 169 each.

Those look great !!!

I just wanted the Blue with my Silver combo!!

I guess I'll need the adapter but I dont think mine came with them....Hmmm!!!

How to get??

optima003.jpg

optima002.jpg

optima004.jpg

the yellow tops fit good with the included adapter. 169 each.

David, I'm lookin at Getting to blue tops as well.Pm me with the details and what not.
Chris

Sure man!! But other than knowing that their Blue on top and the model number is 34M for Starting battery, Im not sure what else can be said!! LOL

Really, It can be used with autos but made for marine...

Blue with gray bottom is the "Starting battery'.....Blue with White bottom is " Deep Cycle Dual purpose"

Hope this helps man!!!! It's about all my dumba$$ knows!! LOL

Last edited:
Those look great !!!

I just wanted the Blue with my Silver combo!!

I guess I'll need the adapter but I dont think mine came with them....Hmmm!!!

How to get??

The adaptors are included with the yellow tops. Maybe costco or an auto parts store would let you have them. most people just throw them out anyway.

Red tops would have looked better with my setup, but the cca was less than the stock batteries. The yellow tops are very comparable to stock as far as the rating, but they turn the truck over a lot faster.

Got my Blue Tops installed wihtout having to have the extra plastic mounting deal!!

I just turned the stock piece upside down and twisted down on the screw pretty good!!! I know it's redneckish but it works fine and you can't see it!!

The Interceptor is OPTIMIZED!!!!

I have NGT Extreme Batteries from CARQUEST. It's their version of the Optima line and they work great. $100 each.

For those with Optimas....How do they mount up in the stock positions?? Much trouble??? The Optima's seem smaller....

I saw a truck with two of the Blue tops!!! Can a Marine battery be used in a truck??? I wouldn't see why not!!

I know I being picky but the Blue would def. look better!!!

I have 2 blue tops in mine.

Sams Club had the best price in Houston...cheap enough that I still saved money even after buying the membership to Sams.

I have 2 blue tops in mine.

Sams Club had the best price in Houston...cheap enough that I still saved money even after buying the membership to Sams.

Yeah, I paid $150 each.....Not the best deal but $35 off retail per battery!!

I'm just glad I can crank my dang truck again!!!!!

I have NGT Extreme Batteries from CARQUEST. It's their version of the Optima line and they work great. $100 each.

Dang, That not a bad price!!! Especially if there just re-labeled Optima's!!!

Sounds like your the smart one here!!!

I believe they are made by Eastpenn. A lot cheaper than the Optimas and they work great.

I am also part of the Optima haters club. I bought one for my diesel VW Jetta because it was the only thing the parts store had on hand that would fit (damn european cars). At first I had a yellow top...it was always pretty weak but I stuck with it for almost a year, then it pretty much took a dump. I exchanged it for a red top, hoping it would do better, but it seems to be just as crappy.
I don't know the size of Dodge battery trays off hand (I have a 94 Ford I'm putting a Cummins in) but in my ford I could fit two semi batteries in there... I believe they're Group 31? But anyways, each battery had 1250CCAs. I get them at a local truck shop for $65/piece brand new. You fellas might want to look into that.
To me that is the hardest to beat combo- even if it was below zero, I swear my old 7.3L IDI would only need one tooth on the flywheel to have her purring lol.

Red tops are starter, Yellows are DeepCycle, and Blues(Marine) are available in both. Yellow has with or without sidepoles, blue has extra poles on top.

Recomendation is Deep Cycle for applications that sits for longer times or with lots of powerconsuming accesories such as audio or winches.

Starterbatteries doesn´t allow for many deepcycles before it takes a dump, but have a few more cranking amps compared to deepcycles with the same Ah.

They come in different Ah ratings, from 38 to 75 Ah, so be sure you get the at least twin 50 or 55 for our trucks as the stock batteries are rated a bit higher.
The Optimas in 50 or 55 Ah provides the cranking amps needed but doesnt provide the BCI required.

Back