BBI injectors, tuning the stage 4's

paulb

I would like to keep this thread on tuning large injectors, and in particular the BBI stage 4's. I use a Smarty SSR with UDC for tuning, but the "concepts" should pertain to EFI Live as well. Please keep this to a technical discussion. It seems like these threads often end up in vendor bashing/vendor cheer leading, and I would like to avoid that.

I own two sets of BBI injectors a set of stage 1's that I bought for my 06, and a set of stage 4's for my 05. I installed the stage 1's in my 05 first, and took it to Sacramento Raceway, on 12/31/2012. For tuning it was pretty much set it for high duration and high timing, with modest rail pressure. No dyno time, or much street time either, because of the snow at my house. The truck ran high 11's low 12's. The best being an 11.95 @ 113mph. The truck weighs ~7200 lbs with me in it. That puts the hp right at 700hp. This was with mud and snow tires, and no time playing with the tuning. Rail pressure was at 24,000, so there was an easy 15-20hp left there. The purpose of this testing was just to see out of the box,what the stage 1's would do in a truck with all the supporting mods. The turbos are overly large for 700hp, so that hurt the E.T. but they probably didn't hurt the mph much.

The stage 4's supply a lot of fuel. That was very apparent even on my first road test. The spec on them I believe is 144/l/h @ a pressure of 100bar (~1450 psi). This is how stock injectors are rated. A flow rate at 100bar. None of us run our injectors at 100 bar. My truck idles at ~480bar. What the rating does do, is let us know how the injectors compare to stock. Each set of BBI's come with flow certificates showing the flow at 250bar (3625psi), 1000bar (14,500psi) and 1600bar(23200psi). The certificate shows the flows at those pressures from 160us, to 2000us. At the top end of the charts the flows are pretty linear, so you can extrapolate from there. My stage 4's flow ~380mm3/stroke, at 1600bar, and 2000us. My personal "safe" tuning limit is 2800us, and 26,000psi. With the stage 4's this works out to ~530mm3/stroke. Way more fuel than I have air to use. Drop this down to 1700us, at 26,000psi and it's 366mm3/stroke. That's more in line with what I can handle. For comparison with the stage 1's making ~700hp, they were flowing 258mm3 with the settings I was using (2800us, 24,000psi). As another comparison using my max "safe" settings, stage 3's flow ~426mm3/stroke. With my old injectors, I made 1040hp, with a fuel flow of about 385mm3/stroke. So I could have gone with stage 3's and made more hp then I was making before, and it would have been easier to tune for the street. Where is the fun in that!?!

So now the question is, how do we take an injector that flows that much fuel, and tune it for the street? The stage 4 was designed and marketed for extreme competition, but I drive my truck on the street as well as at the track. Keep in mind too, that the stage 4's fuel flow doesn't fall off as much with rpm as a stock injector does.

More to follow...

I don't think you'll find it that hard to get back in line. Were running injectors that flow around 600mm3 at 2000us 1600 bar. And we run them up to 2200bar+ (6.7's) and they are quite well behaved on the stand alone.

When Torrey and crew were out on the dyno they were pulling to 5K and power wasn't falling off. On spray my truck made 1422hp at 1880us and cracked a cylinder.

You'll likely run lower pressure in the low fuel area's. We find the mega injectors to be much more controllable. Big pressure in the light load area's can be tricky as a little time is a pile of fuel.

Just to clarify, you are running these on late model pistons? The stage 4's are around 143° spray angle correct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just to clarify, you are running these on late model pistons? The stage 4's are around 143° spray angle correct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I guess I need to update my sig. No, the engine has 03-04 style Monotherms in it.

I don't think you'll find it that hard to get back in line. Were running injectors that flow around 600mm3 at 2000us 1600 bar. And we run them up to 2200bar+ (6.7's) and they are quite well behaved on the stand alone.

When Torrey and crew were out on the dyno they were pulling to 5K and power wasn't falling off. On spray my truck made 1422hp at 1880us and cracked a cylinder.

You'll likely run lower pressure in the low fuel area's. We find the mega injectors to be much more controllable. Big pressure in the light load area's can be tricky as a little time is a pile of fuel.

The injectors have proven to be well behaved, it's more the Dodge ECM that's not. Sorry to hear about the cracked cylinder. It seem to be more common lately. I'm currently running Darton racing sleeves in all cylinders to see if that will reduce the chance of cracking.

My first attempt was just using the SSR. I wanted to get an idea where the duration and timing needed to be. For the most part it needed to be really low. I finally gave up on just using SSR settings and started working on a UDC tune. Some of the things I was struggling with were:

1. The fuel flow from the stage 4's doesn't fall off as much at high rpm. The high rpm part of the duration maps, add to much duration for the stage 4's. I ended up flattening the high rpm end of the map. Without that, as rpm would increase, I would run out of air, where in the 2800-3400rpm range the amount of fuel was correct.
2. I lowered the whole duration map initially by 17%. Getting the duration map closer to what the injectors actually flow, improved driveability by a bunch.
3. Being smoother on rail pressure changes. The large injectors change the amount of fuel being delivered dramatically with small changes in rail pressure. Increasing rail pressure rapidly with large injectors also makes it harder for CP3's to keep up.
4. Running short durations also requires less timing. While changes in duration and rail pressure need to be gentler, timing changes need to be quicker.
5. You may need to change the low end of the timing map with the BBI injectors, compared to what you may have run before. The pilot injection does work with the BBI's, where it doesn't on some aftermarket injectors.

What I have found that works on my truck, is a flatter and lower duration map. I smoother increase in rail pressure, and a lower but less smooth timing map.

I do want to point out too, that my truck is an 05, with 05 ECM software, but it has 03-04 style pistons. I've tried running the 04 software (only thing that didn't work was the electronic wastegate, which I don't use anyway), but the truck really ran poorly. I better solution is to run the 05 software, but make timing adjustments to account for the early style pistons.

Paul

I'm sorry that I have not posted here recently. I had to under go major surgery, and I am just getting back on my feet. I do plan on driving the 05 today, which is the first time in about a month and a half.

Paul

I'm sorry that I have not posted here recently. I had to under go major surgery, and I am just getting back on my feet. I do plan on driving the 05 today, which is the first time in about a month and a half.

Paul

Hopefully you recover quickly!

Looking forward to some more results.

What twins do you have on the 06 Paul?

The 06 is pretty much stock, including the stock turbo. I have not had it on the dyno or the track, so I have no idea what hp it's making. I know I have the fuel cut way down.

Paul

I'm sorry I miss read. I meant the 05 that you said the twins were overly large for 700hp

The 05 has a 66/16ss over an S488. Runs nice and cool at 700hp! :)

hope you recover quickly Paul, and keep us updated.

good thread, lets keep it going

Not BBI' but i just got Don's newest design, Apex 7.5's. Without going through my emails right now i think they are in the 275 percent over range but with the latest/greatest full body tuning.
I use SSR/UDC as well only im kind of a dummy so i use Randy Lawless for tuning. I dabbled with the SSR with my last set of Flux 6.2's running a 64/480. I cleared the idle smoke and low fuel no problem as well a good driving manors, on the track though it ran almost too clean. I didnt feel safe adding more duration and timing than what i was at without getting it on a dyno.
It should be going in the next week so hopefully i can share some info on large injectors.

Back