Before I buy it..

12vfleet

beCummin broke
I found a 1998 jetta tdi 5 speed with 215,000 miles on it which would work great for a work car. The person that has it says that it needs a turbo sensor and its good to go. Has a salvage title and currently has light and dark green body panels on it. He advertised it at 3500 or best offer so I was thinking of offering 2500 and go from there to start out at. Thoughts from some of the VW guys?

I'm guessing by turbo sensor he means mass air flow sensor btw.

Service history on those motors is critical. If it hasn't been serviced with synthetic oil it most likely needs a cam and lifters. Also there are tons of chinese parts on the market and if the owner has a chinese timing belt on it you'll want to get it serviced asap with quality parts. With 215K the injectors will most likely need rebuilt at minimum.

Any idea on what getting TDI injectors rebuilt are? I mean with buying a vehicle with that many miles I intend on doing all of the routine maintenance that I would to any truck I would buy, just new to the TDI world. I'm workin on gettint the VIN# and asking about the service history as well.

Personally if it needs that much I don't think its work $2500...especially with a salvage title. 98 & back tend to rust VERY badly too...mine is but hell I don't care I only gave $1200 for mine!

I dont think I'm gona go with this one after reading up on TDIclub.com.. I did find another one though.. Its a 2003 TDI 5 speed with a salvage title with 104K miles. Any problems that were concurrent with that year? I haven't called the dealer just yet but am going to once I get time.

Attachments

• jetta.jpg
    jetta.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
I dont think I'm gona go with this one after reading up on TDIclub.com.. I did find another one though.. Its a 2003 TDI 5 speed with a salvage title with 104K miles. Any problems that were concurrent with that year? I haven't called the dealer just yet but am going to once I get time.

Why does THIS one have a salvage title? 104K miles it SHOULD have just had a timing belt done....if they cannot SHOW PROOF get it changed ASAP. TB's on those cars are good for 100K miles. If the car checks out decent and you buy it delete the EGR ASAP before it completely clogs up the intake.

Other than that enjoy! That's the body style I wanted but I never really had the money to buy, then my 98 fell into my lap for $1200. Almost 2 years later its still going and continues to save me a ton of money on fuel every week.

Back