benching pump..got some questions

cumminsrulez

Ok so I called a somewhat local shop (in Spokane WA) and talked to the guy about benching and maxing out my pump. And he said all he could get out of it with stock p&bs is like 240cc. How is that? Am I missing something? He said it would only cost like 200 bucks. But i've read on here of guys getting 450cc out of a 180 pump? So i'm lost. I don't understand how it can be that low. And this is per 1k strokes. He said only way to get that kinda fuel is with a 13mm pump..:bs:

So maybe you guys can help explain and teach me something. And point me in the direction of a better shop.:thankyou2:

Send it to Columbus Diesel and know your getting good work done and they only charge like 300 bucks.

I just pm'ed Seth. Waiting eagerly for a response lol. Anyone know why they say it can only flow so little???

well while im at it what do you guys think it would take to dd a 66/74/.91? im thinking with the maxed pump 550-600cc, 7x.011s with custom needle work ect, my .025 dvs and eventually head work (p&p, orings), cam...no idea on size yet, push rods (chromoly?), 150lb vs, titanium keepers, lift pump. And feeding the turbo through a ceramic coated and blanketed steep speed, along with ceramic coating the turbo manifold and also blanketing it.

The whole idea of what i wanna do is have a big single dd that can retain mileage and still have it light before 2000rpms. And i know as far as mileage that will depend a lot on your right foot. id like to get a little input on what you guys think would do this (the best setup). Ive heard of people even dd s475s and a5000s so i think this is do able. just wanna make sure im not crazy LOL

Edit: forgot to add. the setup will also get 5k springs. And if you think id be better off with a 63 or 64mm charger let me know. im shooting for around 650+ hp...maybe i should just go twins lol :hehe::bang

Last edited:
well while im at it what do you guys think it would take to dd a 66/74/.91? im thinking with the maxed pump 550-600cc, 7x.011s with custom needle work ect, my .025 dvs and eventually head work (p&p, orings), cam...no idea on size yet, push rods (chromoly?), 150lb vs, titanium keepers, lift pump. And feeding the turbo through a ceramic coated and blanketed steep speed, along with ceramic coating the turbo manifold and also blanketing it.

The whole idea of what i wanna do is have a big single dd that can retain mileage and still have it light before 2000rpms. And i know as far as mileage that will depend a lot on your right foot. id like to get a little input on what you guys think would do this (the best setup). Ive heard of people even dd s475s and a5000s so i think this is do able. just wanna make sure im not crazy LOL

Edit: forgot to add. the setup will also get 5k springs. And if you think id be better off with a 63 or 64mm charger let me know. im shooting for around 650+ hp...maybe i should just go twins lol :hehe::bang

You should be able to get 650 with a 63 or 64 and have a better dd. Why challenge yourself with a 66 when you don't need to?

ya... ive kinda been bouncing around the idea of a big single. but the money required to get it too spool decent, i think id be better off with twins. i think i may go with a 63/68/.85 when i get the money. and then if i want/need more i can always put a s400 series under it.

Why are guys trying to go w/ the 66's so much on a 12v? I know to each his own, but for a dd, i think is too much...how do you like the vgt you're running?

What he said^^ LOL and I think set up right they could be a decent dd. But on the case of my vgt. I like it. I cleaned the vanes today because they were sticking and it had a power band like a 2 stroke dirt bike...it would build 30psi quick then the vanes would snap open and it would keep pulling and boost would drop. Now its nice and smooth. I think the best setup would be using the air cylinder. That's what's next for me. So it'll spool a little harder and be more consistent and reliable so to say

The pump shop at my last base said the same thing, so I racked it myself and had them flow it, 500cc @ 17mm is what they told me.

66 is a great DD, but a 67.7 is better if you have the extra cash. If you feel 66 is too much, run a 63 and be happy.

I'd go with a 64 if you want to go single. But, it's hard to beat the drivability of twins. I run a 62/.70 over an 80/1.10. Spools fairly quick, 10psi @ 1700, 20psi @ 2000rpm.

you already have the VGT, why not set it up to be more consistent with an air cylinder, then drop an S475 under it, save all that extra coin.

You'll be pushing it hard at 650, but should be able to gate around it i would think.

A 66 on a 5 speed daily driver is always going to be a struggle. Sure, people do it. But it's no longer necessary to use a 66mm turbo to get in the 600+ range. Billet 64mm turbo's flow about the same as a cast 66mm cheapo turbo. Obviously price is different, but the smaller turbo spooling faster is essential in not only a manual situation, but trying not to black out people when driving around. Some people say they can easily DD their silver bullets and what not, but between lugging a manual and losing boost inbetween shifts, it's always going to be hard not to end up smoking people out from time to time. Sticking with a 63 or 64 would probably be smarter. As already said, if you want way more air than your 351 will put out, just slap a S475 under it. Wouldn't be much more expensive and would have a way better DD setup.

I can agree as stated above as well by thekid760...i just finished w my compounds and i LOVE them!!
62/71 over 475 w 5x.014's . I had sent my pump to Chris at SDX at the time, now ducky injection i think. It's a 180 flowing 375cc w a #100 plate full fwd @20psi. Stock dv's.

I've been thinking about a 63. Then I could always go twins. And have a pretty powerful set at that. But maybe I should just hang a turbo under the 351 after I put a air cylinder on it. But first I need studs and a dual disk. Cause i think i'm at about the limits of this single

Back