Bent Push Rod? Whats next?

Rhett24

I recently cleaned injectors. Put everything together and started truck. The sound from the exhaust sounded rougher than before I took it all apart. Went back through and found #6 exhaust pushrod was bent. Just slightly had to put on flat surface and noticed that way. These are the heavy duty rods. So I put my stock pushrod back in. I however did not adjust the valve lash for that cylinder. After the stock rod was installed it still didnt sound like normal from the exhaust. Could this be a simple valve lash adjustment or did I bend something else as well?

Last edited:
ALWAYS adjust the valves when changing push rods, or when you take the valves off for something PERIOD.

I went back and adjusted the valves the only one that was slightly lose but still in spec was the #6 exhaust. The one with the bent pushrod. After adjustment I started truck, the clacking/cack cack cack noise from exhaust seemed to be better. However it still doesnt sound like before.
Could I have messed a valve seat up?
Can I take off each injector wiring harness at a time and see which cylinder is making the noise? It almost sounds like its running off 5 cylinders.

With more research. I found something similar to mine thank goodness for video. The truck was running on 5 cylinders and sounded exactly like mine. What causes this? Bent valve (low compression) or injector messing up?

Check everything, cracked valve bridge, rocker arm maybe missing the stupid plastic cap that is common to fall off considering you had an excessive clearance, I do not believe you bent a valve, unless you had 6 way too tight and the valve kissed the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Example A:
cf289de0f61126ca76ab21500393531f.jpg

Photo cred: Derek Rose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back