Bent Turbine Fin on S467 - What to do?

drewkeen

Old School
A fin on my turbine wheel got bent on my S467.7 with the 83mm wheel and of course needs to be repaired now.

Should I just have a new wheel installed and balanced? Are there different wheels that may be upgrades for it? Truck isn't my only vehicle and I don't drag it, I do like power and I tow around 5,000lbs with it.

Any recommendations on a local shop in Nashville, TN or Atlanta, GA area to take it to?

Thanks!

Have the 87mm turbine installed and a housing to match if it were mine.

I think an 83mm should be fine for my goals, I am not trying to make 900+hp or anything and would probably enjoy spooling 100-200rpm sooner when towing in lockup.

So why did you get on here and ask for advice on the matter again? Sounds as though you have made up your own mind already.

I asked about there being different wheels that may be upgrades for it as well as a good place to have it rebuilt.

Yes, I have pretty much already made up my mind on keeping the 83mm size housing and wheel to fit it because it fits my needs the best - I didnt know if there may be other designs that have different shapes or numbers of fins that may improve the turbo.

Thanks for the recommendation - Why would you recommend the 87?
I am here to learn, but just giving me a recommendation and no other info doesn't really help me gather info to make a decision on what suits my needs the best.

Have it balanced and throw it in.

I bet it'll have a gnarly whistle and not really effect anything.

It fell about 3" or so, not damaged much but it is bent.

I will take a picture this evening and post it.

I thought that only the compressor wheel was different?

I have a cast compressor wheel because it is the same design, lighter and I dont use nitrous.

Sorry guys, I skimmed. I thought we were talking compressor!

My bad.

EDIT: ha ha wow, I should at least pay attention to the damn Title. Sorry again.

I've ran a turbine wheel with a bent fin before , straightened it out best I could and had no issues . Post a picture

Sorry for the size of these - I didn't want to compress them and lose quality.

Note that the gray on the fins is just anti-sieze.

xnyssj.jpg

10qdkl4.jpg

245g8ph.jpg

28vvgi.jpg

og9ueo.jpg

21cyok.jpg

ofov9s.jpg

Get it balanced and run it. Typically inconel doesn't like to bend but that really isn't all that terrible. A balance is a definite must though. People would be surprised how small of a change in weight distribution can affect the balance of these things.

Back