best aftermarket valve springs

extremediesel

I have a 2006 dodge and I was wandering which valve springs are the best to go with. I have heard of Don M springs and I have heard of PDR they seem to be the most cost effective. And the Haisley/EEP seem a little pricey for what you get. Is there any thing better or cheaper than these?
thanks
Nick

Best springs

Don M has good springs and I don't know anything about anyone elses except I heard that Greg Hogue NOW has springs and his are double springs. I don't want to quote prices for Greg so you can ask/PM him (COMP461).

Try GAM Racing's springs. Call Bruce 970-352-4342. We have run his springs to approximately 4125 rpms and over 60# boost on the dyno and found no float. These have been used by various high power guys around the country.

They are a drop in set with springs, clips and retainers.

Tell him LaserBob sent you.

I would go with those from Dominator. I know the guys from hamilton diesel who desgined them and they know there stuff.

I was hoping this would turn into something like that camshaft thread from a few months ago in which the manufacturers started giving up more info :fish:

So the choices are in no particular order:

1) F1
2) PDR
3) EEP
4) Hamilton (sold by Dominator)
5) Hogue
6) GAM
7) II (probably repackaged springs)

Do aftermarket valve springs give any noticable performance benefit for daily driving / towing where one is not in the +2800 rpm range that often? Or are the stock Cummins springs good enough in this application?

I wouldn't worry about springs at 2800 rpms. If you wanted to run a lot of boost at high rpms then springs would be a good investment. I forget if he's on this forum, but there's a guy who dyno'd 4hp/ 167 ft-lbs better with twins as opposed to my 1 hp gain with a single =P

metal_miner said:
I was hoping this would turn into something like that camshaft thread from a few months ago in which the manufacturers started giving up more info :fish:

So the choices are in no particular order:

1) F1
2) PDR
3) EEP
4) Hamilton (sold by Dominator)
5) Hogue
6) GAM
7) II (probably repackaged springs)

Do aftermarket valve springs give any noticable performance benefit for daily driving / towing where one is not in the +2800 rpm range that often? Or are the stock Cummins springs good enough in this application?

There is a list of seven companies selling them, with only 2 known quality suppliers. There are very few spring manufacturers in the US, capable of making springs to our specs. We have a drop in spring, that we will put up against anyones.

Justin williams said a while back that he was running high rpms with high boost sled pulling and pulled his head off for something little and noticed his valves had kissed his pistons a view times. Not bad enough to do any damage but he said they had defiantly hit so he has said before high rpms plus high bosst valve springs are a muston a Common rail probably the same on others.

was gonna go with the F1 springs, but other options may be possible if anyone can give up some info besides "we use them" and "I would trust them"

anyone pulling with these things at 4k+ and 60psi+?????? im still using a stock cam but floating the stock springs...but i gotta see some info and results first.

getblown5.9 said:
was gonna go with the F1 springs, but other options may be possible if anyone can give up some info besides "we use them" and "I would trust them"

anyone pulling with these things at 4k+ and 60psi+?????? im still using a stock cam but floating the stock springs...but i gotta see some info and results first.

Are you floating your valves now?

getblown5.9 said:

Yes, I have setup 3 trucks running F1 springs between 3500-4000rpm and 50+psi on the pulling track. Also, I can confirm that Justin saw evidence of piston to valve contact before the F1 springs were installed. No word on whether he's opened it back up between seasons.

We run the Hamilton Diesel 140 lbs. springs in our Common Rail puller and have had great luck with them. We run 3900 RPM and 90 lbs of boost.

Ph4tty said:
I wouldn't worry about springs at 2800 rpms. If you wanted to run a lot of boost at high rpms then springs would be a good investment. I forget if he's on this forum, but there's a guy who dyno'd 4hp/ 167 ft-lbs better with twins as opposed to my 1 hp gain with a single =P

Those numbers sound like RJ's. If it is, I was at the before and after dyno and saw the 100+tq gain personally. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. He was also running twins at around 60-65psi.

zstroken said:
How do you know? Have you had your head off?

no, but whenever the truck is under boost at rpms above 3400, it starts popping and fluttering badly as it blows the valves open. I'm sure I have had some light contact with the piston also, but not enough for major carnage.

You can hear it at the beginning of this burnout. I was in 3rd gear and ended up at 3700rpms, after hearing it popping it, and seeing what rpms I was at I eased off a bit and pumped the throttle to get some smoke :ft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcbzvCRGOgA

I am just thinking with a 2nd gen unless you have a redline, your not able to fuel at high enough RPM, to actually be making the boost that blows them open. Sure your just not defueling and refueling?

at 3700 my boost gauge is sitting on 55psi steady.

and a redline is in my near future anyway ;)

Back