Best economy tune?

Morse

Diesel
I'm a long timer that's played lots with the cummins, quite a bit with the duramax, and very little with the 7.3. I just purchased a 2000 Excursion 2wd with a 7.3. It looks basicly new inside and out, though it has 122,000 miles on it. Running 78 mph on the interstate, currently it's turning in 15 mpg. What's the best tune to turn in better fuel economy? I'm not interested in huge power increases. It has the stock trans, and I definitely don't want to tear it out.
Also, does the 4 or 5 inch exhaust systems drone loudly inside the cab on the 7.3's? She wants it to sound better.. haha.. It's getting lifted soon as well. She can't stand it sitting so low.

Youre going to lift a 2WD,creat more wind resistance and you want better mileage??:umno::badidea:
Go with a 4" exhaust (No Bigger) a drop in AFE filter and a TS 6position and run it on 75hp. And dont use Rotella.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know wind resistance hurts fuel economy. The reason for lifting is two fold. They just look too low for the womans tastes. She saw one with 43'' tires the other day, and she thought it was perfect. haha. It's revving quite high on the interstate, therefore I'm replacing the tires that are currently 31'' tall with a stock wheel/tire off a new F250 which is just over 34'' tall (and the same width) to help bring the rpm's down a little on the interstate. I've at times actually gotten better fuel mileage with my diesels after a mild lift and taller tire were installed. If she didn't want it lifted, I might even swap out gears for something higher to lower the rpms..

At 78 mph on the interstate, even a tune is most likely not going to increase mileage at all.

Also, the faster you go, the more wind resistance plays a role in mileage. So lifting the EX will only hurt your mileage, not help it.

These trucks get their best MPG's when you keep RPM's below 2k on the highway. In other words, if you want better mileage.... slow down.

If you're seriously considering re-gearing, then don't lift the truck, and keep the smaller tires. That will help a little with fuel economy. There's a guy that floats around on a few forums named Dave Whitmer, who consistently gets 26+ mpg out of his truck in the summer. He lowered his truck, put smaller tires on it, runs 3.08 gears, has a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, a fairback bed cover, and front end air dam to reach that mileage. That's more overkill than what the average person would do, but it serves as a real-world example of how to actually increase mileage significantly.

As for exhaust, more of the popular exhaust units are MBRP and Magnaflow. I have an MBRP 4" system on my truck, and I have no exhaust drone. A friend of mine that lives not too far away has an Excursion with a Magnaflow on his, and again no drone.

For chips, check out some of the vendors on this forum. There are many options out there. I've personally run DP-Tuner and Power Hungry Performance on my truck, and both have been great. Now I do my own custom tuning, mainly as a personal hobby.

Rotella is fine on our trucks, and is probably the most popular brand used in the 7.3L's. I've used Rotella, Delo, Motorcraft, and Valvoline (Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme is my personal favorite out of those). If you live in a colder climate, you may want to consider synthetic for easier winter starts and to significantly reduce the cold start romps on cold mornings.

Ok, I appreciate the opinions, but my question is what tune will help economy the most. Also, at what size exhaust does it start to drone on the 7.3. I'm not a 7.3 guy, but I've owned and raced many diesels from 1999 up until last year(crazy racers to 10 second daily drivers to 11 second tow vehicles). I do understand wind resistance, and the theory that raising a vehicle will lower fuel economy. On a gasser, this is always true by my experience. Lifting a diesel can be a whole different animal. Diesels tend to be very rpm sensitive, as stated above. 2k or below is optimal. Over 2200 rpm, and economy starts really diving. A moderate lift of a vehicle will not always lower fuel mileage at a given speed on a diesel if a few inch taller tire is used that's not overly wide. Yes, aerodynomics are worse. Yes, a taller tire creates more rolling weight/drag. At times a diesel will overcome those negatives with the couple hundred rpms you lose by going a few inches larger. Granted, these results were with a few of my past dodges. My 2003 LB7 back in the day turned in 18 on the highway with the stock tiny tires. Approximately the same on 34'' tires, and over 16 on 39's. My dodges were heavily modded as well. The LB7 was just a 13 second truck. Peoples lifting experience and theories are kind of like gear ratios of drag trucks. Some still have a more gasser mentality that lower gears help in drag racing higher power diesel trucks. I've found out by experience that even going from a 3.73 to a 3.42 gear ratio I brought my time down around a tenth and a half in the quarter. It also let me hook up better off the line making et's more consistant. I'm sorry for writing so much. i just wanted to clarify that I'm not a diesel new guy. If I were going for exteme fuel economy, I'd drop in high gears, lower it, and install lightweight wheels and a light narrow tire. I'm not that worried about it.. haha.. I just don't know the latest and greatest 7.3 tunes.

Last edited:
Ok, I appreciate the opinions, but my question is what tune will help economy the most.
Unfortunately, there is no hard data on this. Tuning varies, and so does driving style and vehicle configurations (mods, etc). Some folks have found that stock tuning works best for mileage, others have had "economy" tunes work best, and still others have used race tunes for better mileage. It really varies quite a bit.

Also, at what size exhaust does it start to drone on the 7.3.
Most systems are either 4" or 5". The drone can pop up on either setup, depending on what muffler you use, or if you don't use a muffler at all. Most standard 4" setups (the more popular and widely used ones) tend to have little or no drone.

I'm not a 7.3 guy, but I've owned and raced many diesels from 1999 up until last year(crazy racers to 10 second daily drivers to 11 second tow vehicles). I do understand wind resistance, and the theory that raising a vehicle will lower fuel economy. On a gasser, this is always true by my experience. Lifting a diesel can be a whole different animal. Diesels tend to be very rpm sensitive, as stated above. 2k or below is optimal. Over 2200 rpm, and economy starts really diving. A moderate lift of a vehicle will not always lower fuel mileage at a given speed on a diesel if a few inch taller tire is used that's not overly wide. Yes, aerodynomics are worse. Yes, a taller tire creates more rolling weight/drag. At times a diesel will overcome those negatives with the couple hundred rpms you lose by going a few inches larger.
Yes, the PSD is very RPM sensitive in regards to mileage. However, there's also a caveat concerning larger (taller) tires and/or lift.

Fueling is controlled by your right foot. Pressing the accelerator pedal the PCM reads the amount of fuel desired based on that pedal position measured in A/D counts. Let's say to maintain speed down the highway at 70 MPH on a stock EX, it takes 300 A/D counts of pedal to keep that speed. This results in a specific amount of mass fuel desired, and the PCM uses that input to determine injection pressure and fuel pulsewidth. So you have "X" amount of fuel being delivered to maintain that speed.

Now add larger tires and a lift. To maintain that 70 mph, yes you're running at lower RPM's. However, because of the additional drag, it now takes 400 A/D counts of pedal position to maintain that speed. It means that the PCM see's a higher demand of fuel desired in order to maintain that same speed (even at a lower RPM), and thus increases injection pressure and pulsewidth to match the fueling desired. So instead of "X" amount of fuel needed, you have a new value of "Y" amount of fuel needed.

In other words, while you might be running lower RPM's, you're actually fueling more to overcome the additional drag. This is just a crude example that I posted, but it's just to serve as an example of how the PSD reacts. To overcome additional drag to maintain the same speed, it requires more fueling.

Of course, it's all dependent upon the actual increase in drag that is incurred with larger tires and/or a lift. If you were to get taller tires, but without increasing the width of the tire and without the need of a lift, you could very well increase mileage, as the rolling resistance of the taller tire might not be enough of a drag to warrant too much additional fueling. But bundling taller tires along with a lift, you're adding even more drag, and the chances of you actually getting better mileage will significantly decrease.... and the most likely outcome would be worse mileage... especially at the highway speeds you posted earlier.

Granted, these results were with a few of my past dodges. My 2003 LB7 back in the day turned in 18 on the highway with the stock tiny tires. Approximately the same on 34'' tires, and over 16 on 39's. My dodges were heavily modded as well. The LB7 was just a 13 second truck. Peoples lifting experience and theories are kind of like gear ratios of drag trucks. Some still have a more gasser mentality that lower gears help in drag racing higher power diesel trucks. I've found out by experience that even going from a 3.73 to a 3.42 gear ratio I brought my time down around a tenth and a half in the quarter. It also let me hook up better off the line making et's more consistant. I'm sorry for writing so much. i just wanted to clarify that I'm not a diesel new guy. If I were going for exteme fuel economy, I'd drop in high gears, lower it, and install lightweight wheels and a light narrow tire. I'm not that worried about it.. haha.. I just don't know the latest and greatest 7.3 tunes.
Just speaking from personal experience with my own truck.... I did buy it with the lift already installed. However, I knew the former owner, and I drove the truck regularly when it was still stock. At 65 mph on the highway, 18 MPG was pretty easy to hit. He then put the lift on, and it was routinely getting 16-17 mpg on the highway at the same speeds. This was with 315/75r16 tires at that time, and still with the stock 3.73 gears.

I was able to reach 18 mpg... but it involved getting a chip, a bed cover, and driving for 800 miles one way keeping speeds at around 60 MPH. So I had to drive slower and modify the truck in order to reach the same mileage that it saw when it was at stock height with stock tires. All of this was still with those same 315 tires, and stock 3.73 gears. Now I'm running even bigger and wider tires, and have 4.30 gears. 18 MPG is something I just haven't been able to duplicate at all now.

Anyway, just trying to help. I would hate for you to invest in a lift and tires only to find out that your mileage drops without anyone warning you.

Rotella is fine on our trucks, and is probably the most popular brand used in the 7.3L's. .

Where do you get this info from? Yes! Rotella will work in a 7.3 is it a good oil...NO, its not ..especially for the 7.3 or 6.0 systems with HPOP not to mention it breaks down sooner than other oils..This discussion has been had time and time again.. Ive seen more injector and HPOP issues with trucks that have run Rotella than others .Ask some injector builders if they can tell when someones been using Rotella. ...*bdh*.... OK Im done..

246xxx and have only used rotella haven't had any problems and 10k oil changes. just my experience!

Where do you get this info from? Yes! Rotella will work in a 7.3 is it a good oil...NO, its not ..especially for the 7.3 or 6.0 systems with HPOP not to mention it breaks down sooner than other oils..This discussion has been had time and time again.. Ive seen more injector and HPOP issues with trucks that have run Rotella than others .Ask some injector builders if they can tell when someones been using Rotella. ...*bdh*.... OK Im done..

So you have proof that it breaks down sooner than other oils?

After all, you're asking where I get this info from, yet it's you that made the claim that Rotella was bad for the 7.3L..... without any info to back it up.

By the way, Rotella conforms to Ford specifications, and meets the Ford WSS-M2C171-E requirements for approval.

Back when I had my 2000 I ran Rotella and I did my own tests. Thats where I get my info along with the Tech at the dealer here that has seen the results of running it. Oh also I believe Ford has put out a TSB about runnig it in the 6.0 and the affects it has.Ill try and dig that up for ya. Im not lookin to get into a *****in match about oil as Ive gone thru this many times before many years before. If you want to run it fine than run it.. Its your truck, you can shyt on the seat for all I care. I also know that when I switched from Rotella to Mobile Delvac in my Peterbilt I gained 3-5lbs of oil pressure at a hot idle. Also trucks that switched have run quieter and smoother..
Wheres you source/info come from?
Did you know that Rotella starts breaking down before the 5K mile mark and it foams and aerates.Oil that has little air bubbles in it must be real good for system that uses compressed oil to fire injectors huh,or at least in your book maybe.

By the way, Rotella conforms to Ford specifications, and meets the Ford WSS-M2C171-E requirements for approval.

Umm SO.. Did you know the the store name brands conform too.. BFD!!:bang
If vasoline said it conformed would you use it?

Back when I had my 2000 I ran Rotella and I did my own tests. Thats where I get my info along with the Tech at the dealer here that has seen the results of running it. Oh also I believe Ford has put out a TSB about runnig it in the 6.0 and the affects it has.Ill try and dig that up for ya. Im not lookin to get into a *****in match about oil as Ive gone thru this many times before many years before. If you want to run it fine than run it.. Its your truck, you can shyt on the seat for all I care. I also know that when I switched from Rotella to Mobile Delvac in my Peterbilt I gained 3-5lbs of oil pressure at a hot idle. Also trucks that switched have run quieter and smoother..
Wheres you source/info come from?
Did you know that Rotella starts breaking down before the 5K mile mark and it foams and aerates.Oil that has little air bubbles in it must be real good for system that uses compressed oil to fire injectors huh,or at least in your book maybe.
Ahhh, so all your info is based on "someone else told me".

And good luck fishing up that non-existant TSB. The only oil related TSB regarding the 6.0L is #05-16-6, which specifies oil weight and specifications. And in case you forgot, this is also the 7.3L section.

By the way, I run twin HPOP's on my truck (Terminator HPOS), and I've been able to get a little more than 5K miles on Rotella..... with TWIN PUMPS. When I ran a single HPOP, 8K+ miles was normal. Blackstone reports showed I was good for at least 10K miles, but I never pushed it that far.

Basically, I'm calling you out on perpetrating an internet rumor. And just to note, Rotella isn't my favorite oil to use in my truck. I prefer Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, as it resists shearing just a tad better than Rotella with twin HPOP's. However, I'm not going to sit there spreading e-rumors about an oil brand either.

Rumors?? I said what I have found out and what the Tech has seen also oil comparisons Ive seen! Not what I have heard. And like Ive said If you like it fine than use it its YOUR truck! I have simply said what I have found out and I dont like it. Simple enough to understand? You still havent said where you get your info from except from your experiences..So dont try and point a finger at me. Like Ive said before Ive been thru this discussion many times and it gets old after awhile.

Rumors?? I said what I have found out and what the Tech has seen also oil comparisons Ive seen! Not what I have heard. And like Ive said If you like it fine than use it its YOUR truck! I have simply said what I have found out and I dont like it. Simple enough to understand? You still havent said where you get your info from except from your experiences..So dont try and point a finger at me. Like Ive said before Ive been thru this discussion many times and it gets old after awhile.

Yes, it is a rumor. And by the way, it was you that made the claim, and have no proof. Instead you're making statements based on your "experiences", yet blast me for the same thing. You said that injector builders can tell when someone is using Rotella. I've never heard any injector builder making that claim, even searching the forums looking for such a statement from injector builders. In short, if you're the one that's going to claim something, the burden of proof is on you. Until you have that actual proof, it's just rumor-mongering at this point.

Where's that TSB? :poke:

Not to run from this discussion but this thread has been derailed and is off topic. If you want to continue this than start another thread. As far as the TSB like I said Ill have to dig it up.. I dont just sit here all day on the net. Ive got 3 different things goin on right now and this one will have to wait.. Priorities. Sorry for the derail.

holy ****, the dude asked what was the best economy tune and you're talking about wind resistance, tires, and rotella? :confused:

if you've got any experience with different tunes on a 7.3, tell the man which one gave you the best mileage... even if you're lifted or whatever, the tune that gives the best economy is still going to give the best economy

how hard is it? :confused:

holy ****, the dude asked what was the best economy tune and you're talking about wind resistance, tires, and rotella? :confused:

if you've got any experience with different tunes on a 7.3, tell the man which one gave you the best mileage... even if you're lifted or whatever, the tune that gives the best economy is still going to give the best economy

how hard is it? :confused:

As I did in my first post.And then I stopped the derail.

Back